[Scilab-users] Use of optimized ATLAS binary with Scilab (on linux)

Antoine Monmayrant Antoine Monmayrant

[Scilab-users] Use of optimized ATLAS binary with Scilab (on linux)

Hi all,

I wonder whether any of you has tried to use optimized ATLAS binary instead of the default one provided by Scilab (in the SCI/lib/thirdparty).
I read that it can greatly increase Scilab speed for some linear algebra computations (see Programming in Scilab by Michaël Baudin, p135, available here: http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/docprogscilab/downloads/).
I tried to remove libblas from the SCI subfolders, but then it seems that Scilab fails to find the library installed on my machine.
Any tips?

nikolay nikolay

Re: Use of optimized ATLAS binary with Scilab (on linux)

Dear Antoine!

On Ubuntu and Debian you can install Scilab from official repositories and then switch libblas or liblapack to ATLAS with
Hope this helps.

--
With best regards,
Ph.D.,

11 апр. 2017 г. 14:59 пользователь "Antoine Monmayrant" <[hidden email]> написал:
Hi all,

I wonder whether any of you has tried to use optimized ATLAS binary instead of the default one provided by Scilab (in the SCI/lib/thirdparty).
I read that it can greatly increase Scilab speed for some linear algebra computations (see Programming in Scilab by Michaël Baudin, p135, available here: http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/docprogscilab/downloads/).
I tried to remove libblas from the SCI subfolders, but then it seems that Scilab fails to find the library installed on my machine.
Any tips?

Antoine Monmayrant Antoine Monmayrant

Re: ?==?utf-8?q? Use of optimized ATLAS binary with Scilab (on?==?utf-8?q? linux)

Hello Nikolay,

Thanks for the tip.
Saddly, the version in the repositories are too old for me.
I assume that using update-alternatives on libblas & others will not change my problem of scilab not finding the installed libraries.
There might be a LD_LIBRARY_PATH to set somewhere....

Thanks anyway,

Antoine

Le Mardi, Avril 11, 2017 14:22 CEST, Nikolay Strelkov <[hidden email]> a écrit:

> Dear Antoine!
>
> On Ubuntu and Debian you can install Scilab from official repositories and
> then switch libblas or liblapack to ATLAS with
> update-alternatives (see
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/LinearAlgebraLibraries).
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
>
> *With best regards,Ph.D., *
>

> *associate professor at MPEI
> <http://mpei.ru/lang/en/Pages/default.aspx>,IEEE member,maintainer
> of Mathieu functions toolbox for Scilab
> <http://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/Mathieu/>,**Nikolay Strelkov.*
>
> 11 апр. 2017 г. 14:59 пользователь "Antoine Monmayrant" <
> [hidden email]> написал:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I wonder whether any of you has tried to use optimized ATLAS binary
> > instead of the default one provided by Scilab (in the SCI/lib/thirdparty).
> > I read that it can greatly increase Scilab speed for some linear algebra
> > computations (see Programming in Scilab by Michaël Baudin, p135, available
> > here: http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/docprogscilab/downloads/).
> > I tried to remove libblas from the SCI subfolders, but then it seems that
> > Scilab fails to find the library installed on my machine.
> > Any tips?
> >
> > Antoine

Re: ?==?utf-8?q? Use of optimized ATLAS binary with Scilab (on?==?utf-8?q? linux)

Hello Antoine, Nikolay,

The selection of a much performant BLAS / LAPACK implementation is very system-dependent and I don't
want to maintain something not standard / widely deployed on Linux distributions. As a reference,
the current Fedora status is to link against the library used at build-time [1]. Nicolay pointed on
a similar link for Debian which use /etc/alternatives to let the user select a library.

Currently, it is still possible to enforce a specific BLAS/LAPACK library using LD_PRELOAD
(LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libopenblaso.so.0 bin/scilab for example). However it could not be enforced
within Scilab stock version even it is known [2] that Atlas or OpenBLAS will slightly improve Scilab
speed as it is highly system / user dependent choice.

[1]: https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/issue/588
[2]: https://wiki.scilab.org/Linalg%20performances