[Scilab-users] a beginner question

Offer Pade Offer Pade

[Scilab-users] a beginner question

How to make scilab open in a certain directory

Stanislav Stanislav

Re: a beginner question

18.06.2016 15:05, Offe rPade пишет:

How to make scilab open in a certain directory

Philippe Roux Philippe Roux

Re: a beginner question

Le 18/06/2016 12:05, Offe rPade a écrit :
> How to make scilab open in a certain directory

it depends on how you start scilab, they are many ways to do it :

- if you want to start scilab by a click on some icon on windows then
create a shortcut pointing to SCI/bin/Scilex (*)   in the directory
where you want to start , then just click on this shortcut to start
scilab. You can also modify the properties of the shortcut to change
starting directory

- if you start  scilab from the command-line  use the -e option  and
'cd' , for example

scilab -e 'cd SCI'

this is equivalent to start scilab and then use "cd SCI"  in the
console.  be careful to quotes  to handle correctly  strings
representing paths.

Philippe

(*) replace SCI by scilab installation directory, if you don't know this
directory type SCI in scilab console,

Re: a beginner question

Le 18/06/2016 12:05, Offe rPade a écrit :

How to make scilab open in a certain directory

//run
--> preferences

In the interface, click on "General" and use the last section "Start-up directory"
"Use previous working directory" will make forthcoming Scilab sessions opening in the directory where it was when the previous session was quit.
"Use default directory": indicate explicitly the directory in which you want every Scilab to open.

[Scilab-users] scilex -e instructions with quotes and filesep <== Re: a beginner question

Le 18/06/2016 14:04, philippe a écrit :
.../...
- if you start  scilab from the command-line  use the -e option  and
'cd' , for example

scilab -e 'cd SCI'

this is equivalent to start scilab and then use "cd SCI"  in the
console.  be careful to quotes  to handle correctly  strings
representing paths.
.
Actually, at least for Windows users, the series of instructions following the -e option must be quoted with double-quotes ". For an unknown reason, single quotes make instructions not being executed. For instance,
scilab -e 'cd(""C:\users\myprofile\Desktop"")'

won't execute  cd(""C:\users\myprofile\Desktop"")
whereas
scilab -e "cd(""C:\users\myprofile\Desktop"")"
will.
IMO, the help scilab page would deserve more information about that. The example given in the page shall include an instruction with a literal string delimited with " or ' and having the filesep character of the OS and a blank.

BR

[Scilab-users] "scilex.exe" renamed "scilab.exe" for Scilab 6? <== Re: a beginner question

Le 18/06/2016 16:32, Samuel Gougeon a écrit :
Le 18/06/2016 14:04, philippe a écrit :
.../...
- if you start  scilab from the command-line  use the -e option  and
'cd' , for example

scilab -e 'cd SCI'

this is equivalent to start scilab and then use "cd SCI"  in the
console.  be careful to quotes  to handle correctly  strings
representing paths.
.
Actually, at least for Windows users, the series of instructions following the -e option must be quoted with double-quotes ". For an unknown reason, single quotes make instructions not being executed. For instance,
scilab -e 'cd(""C:\users\myprofile\Desktop"")'

won't execute  cd(""C:\users\myprofile\Desktop"")
whereas
scilab -e "cd(""C:\users\myprofile\Desktop"")"
will.
BTW, for Windows users (80 % of scilabers), the right windows binary running Scilab in CLI mode is scilex:
scilex -e "cd(""C:\users\myprofile\Desktop"")"
Could it be renamed "scilab" (and "wscilab") in Scilab 6?

SG

Re: "scilex.exe" renamed "scilab.exe" for Scilab 6? <== Re: a beginner question

Le 18/06/2016 16:36, Samuel Gougeon a écrit :
.../...
BTW, for Windows users (80 % of scilabers), the right windows binary running Scilab in CLI mode is scilex:
scilex -e "cd(""C:\users\myprofile\Desktop"")"
Could it be renamed "scilab" (and "wscilab") in Scilab 6?
Posted as a wish on http://bugzilla.scilab.org/14588 :
scilex.exe => scilab-cli.exe
wscilex.exe => scilab.exe

SG

Tim Wescott Tim Wescott

Re: a beginner question

In Linux, at least, I just go to the desired directory at the command
line and type

scilab &

(the '&' is to make Scilab run in the background).

I suspect that you can do this in Windows, but without being able to run
in the background.

Alternately, you can always just start up Scilab and then use 'cd' to go
where you want.

On Sat, 2016-06-18 at 13:05 +0300, Offe rPade wrote:
> How to make scilab open in a certain directory

Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Control & Communications systems, circuit & software design.
Phone: 503.631.7815
Cell:  503.349.8432