[Scilab-users] calendar does not work

Heinz Nabielek Heinz Nabielek

[Scilab-users] calendar does not work

--> calendar

 ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂAugÂ2020
 MonÂÂTueÂÂWedÂÂThuÂÂFriÂÂSatÂÂSun
 ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ1ÂÂÂÂ2
 Â3ÂÂÂÂ4ÂÂÂÂ5ÂÂÂÂ6ÂÂÂÂ7ÂÂÂÂ8ÂÂÂÂ9
 10ÂÂÂ11ÂÂÂ12ÂÂÂ13ÂÂÂ14ÂÂÂ15ÂÂÂ16
 17ÂÂÂ18ÂÂÂ19ÂÂÂ20ÂÂÂ21ÂÂÂ22ÂÂÂ23
 24ÂÂÂ25ÂÂÂ26ÂÂÂ27ÂÂÂ28ÂÂÂ29ÂÂÂ30
 31ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ

What had happened? Scilab 6.1 under macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Heinz
Antoine Monmayrant Antoine Monmayrant

Re: calendar does not work

Hello,

It works as expected here (6.1.0 under linux).
Is this an encoding issue?
It looks like all the spaces are replaced by Âs...

Antoine

Le 19/08/2020 à 00:10, Heinz Nabielek a écrit :

> --> calendar
>
>   ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂAugÂ2020
>   MonÂÂTueÂÂWedÂÂThuÂÂFriÂÂSatÂÂSun
>   ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ1ÂÂÂÂ2
>   Â3ÂÂÂÂ4ÂÂÂÂ5ÂÂÂÂ6ÂÂÂÂ7ÂÂÂÂ8ÂÂÂÂ9
>   10ÂÂÂ11ÂÂÂ12ÂÂÂ13ÂÂÂ14ÂÂÂ15ÂÂÂ16
>   17ÂÂÂ18ÂÂÂ19ÂÂÂ20ÂÂÂ21ÂÂÂ22ÂÂÂ23
>   24ÂÂÂ25ÂÂÂ26ÂÂÂ27ÂÂÂ28ÂÂÂ29ÂÂÂ30
>   31ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
>
> What had happened? Scilab 6.1 under macOS Catalina 10.15.6
>
> Heinz

Re: calendar does not work

With english defaults under OSX I cannot reproduce your output :

--> getenv("LANG")
  ans  =

   "en_US.UTF-8"

--> calendar

              Aug 2020
  Mon  Tue  Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun
                            1    2
   3    4    5    6    7    8    9
  10   11   12   13   14   15   16
  17   18   19   20   21   22   23
  24   25   26   27   28   29   30
  31

S.

Le 19/08/2020 à 00:10, Heinz Nabielek a écrit :

> --> calendar
>
>   ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂAugÂ2020
>   MonÂÂTueÂÂWedÂÂThuÂÂFriÂÂSatÂÂSun
>   ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ1ÂÂÂÂ2
>   Â3ÂÂÂÂ4ÂÂÂÂ5ÂÂÂÂ6ÂÂÂÂ7ÂÂÂÂ8ÂÂÂÂ9
>   10ÂÂÂ11ÂÂÂ12ÂÂÂ13ÂÂÂ14ÂÂÂ15ÂÂÂ16
>   17ÂÂÂ18ÂÂÂ19ÂÂÂ20ÂÂÂ21ÂÂÂ22ÂÂÂ23
>   24ÂÂÂ25ÂÂÂ26ÂÂÂ27ÂÂÂ28ÂÂÂ29ÂÂÂ30
>   31ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
>
> What had happened? Scilab 6.1 under macOS Catalina 10.15.6
>
> Heinz

[Scilab-users] Re : calendar does not work

Hello Heinz,

You are likely using a quite restricted font for the Scilab console.
May be your system's one as the default.
These characters are non-breakable spaces ascii(160) <=> ascii([194 160]),
that are not US-ASCII but nevertheless rather standard.
You can check in your Scilab preferences, in the Fonts section:
With the font chooser, check "Monospaced" checkbox to list only monospaced
fonts. This is mandatory to keep matrices aligned, etc.
Then, the "Monospaced" or "Consolas" fonts are good choices.
They should include all latin-like fonts, and many non-latin ones
like cyrillic, arabic, japanese, etc. And of course the non-breakable spaces.

The support of extended UTF-8 characters has been added in Scilab 6.1.0
for the Scilab Advanced console (NW) and Raw console (NWNI) modes.
Documenting it with adding a  "Font How-to" section to the --> help console page
is on the TODO list, for all STD NW and NWNI Scilab modes ;-)

Every feedback is welcome about this char(160) case, noticeably from users
using non-latin fonts.
ascii(160) have been substituted to ascii(32) in calendar() in order to prevent
lines wrapping for the calendar block of lines. But the "risk" to have a so
narrow console is quite low, and we can keep normal spaces if it looks
at last preferable.

What had happened? Scilab 6.1 under macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Heinz
Heinz Nabielek-3 Heinz Nabielek-3

Re: calendar does not work

Ah: it is that terrible Austrian dialect that they are speaking here in Vienna....

--> getenv("LANG")
 ans  =

  "en_AT.UTF-8"

--> calendar

 ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂAugÂ2020
 MonÂÂTueÂÂWedÂÂThuÂÂFriÂÂSatÂÂSun
 ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ1ÂÂÂÂ2
 Â3ÂÂÂÂ4ÂÂÂÂ5ÂÂÂÂ6ÂÂÂÂ7ÂÂÂÂ8ÂÂÂÂ9
 10ÂÂÂ11ÂÂÂ12ÂÂÂ13ÂÂÂ14ÂÂÂ15ÂÂÂ16
 17ÂÂÂ18ÂÂÂ19ÂÂÂ20ÂÂÂ21ÂÂÂ22ÂÂÂ23
 24ÂÂÂ25ÂÂÂ26ÂÂÂ27ÂÂÂ28ÂÂÂ29ÂÂÂ30
 31ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ

Who do I change to en_US.UTF-8 permanently under zsh? All my attempts change it only momentarily....
Heinz

> On 25.08.2020, at 13:30, Stéphane Mottelet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> With english defaults under OSX I cannot reproduce your output :
>
> --> getenv("LANG")
>  ans  =
>
>   "en_US.UTF-8"
>
> --> calendar
>
>              Aug 2020
>  Mon  Tue  Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun
>                            1    2
>   3    4    5    6    7    8    9
>  10   11   12   13   14   15   16
>  17   18   19   20   21   22   23
>  24   25   26   27   28   29   30
>  31
>
> S.
>
> Le 19/08/2020 à 00:10, Heinz Nabielek a écrit :
>> --> calendar
>>    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂAugÂ2020
>>  MonÂÂTueÂÂWedÂÂThuÂÂFriÂÂSatÂÂSun
>>  ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ1ÂÂÂÂ2
>>  Â3ÂÂÂÂ4ÂÂÂÂ5ÂÂÂÂ6ÂÂÂÂ7ÂÂÂÂ8ÂÂÂÂ9
>>  10ÂÂÂ11ÂÂÂ12ÂÂÂ13ÂÂÂ14ÂÂÂ15ÂÂÂ16
>>  17ÂÂÂ18ÂÂÂ19ÂÂÂ20ÂÂÂ21ÂÂÂ22ÂÂÂ23
>>  24ÂÂÂ25ÂÂÂ26ÂÂÂ27ÂÂÂ28ÂÂÂ29ÂÂÂ30
>>  31ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
>>
>> What had happened? Scilab 6.1 under macOS Catalina 10.15.6
>>
>> Heinz

> Stéphane Mottelet
> Ingénieur de recherche
> EA 4297 Transformations Intégrées de la Matière Renouvelable
> Département Génie des Procédés Industriels
> Sorbonne Universités - Université de Technologie de Compiègne
> CS 60319, 60203 Compiègne cedex
> Tel : +33(0)344234688
> http://www.utc.fr/~mottelet

[Scilab-users] Re : Re: calendar does not work

>Who do I change to en_US.UTF-8 permanently under zsh? All my attempts change it only momentarily....

As suggested in my previous post, changing your defaults should not be necessary.
Just using Scilab preferences, out of defaults, should fix the issue.