[Scilab-users] callback delay

Stefan Du Rietz Stefan Du Rietz

[Scilab-users] callback delay

Hello,

in the latest version Scilab 6.1.0, I have noticed that sometimes there
is a long delay before the execution of a callback, If I try to measure
it, e.g. by using tic()

   "callback","tic();myfunction()"

and then, in the beginning of myfunction(), having

   disp(toc())

the time is very short despite a delay of half a minute! Can anybody
explain this and tell me how to find out what is going on?

Thanks i advance
Stefan

Re: callback delay

Hello Stefan,

Do you have a complete example using e.g. an uicontrol or else ?

S.

> Le 17 oct. 2020 à 16:49, Stefan Du Rietz <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hello,
>
> in the latest version Scilab 6.1.0, I have noticed that sometimes there is a long delay before the execution of a callback, If I try to measure it, e.g. by using tic()
>
>  "callback","tic();myfunction()"
>
> and then, in the beginning of myfunction(), having
>
>  disp(toc())
>
> the time is very short despite a delay of half a minute! Can anybody explain this and tell me how to find out what is going on?
>
> Thanks i advance
> Stefan
Stefan Du Rietz Stefan Du Rietz

Re: callback delay

Hello Stephane and Antoine,

I tried to explain why I cannot. After I have pressed the button with
the callback, I can see that it takes a long time until the toc()
message from the start of myfunction arrives. I don't know how to get
the time from my button-press. Any idea?

Stefan

On 2020-10-17 17:10, Stéphane Mottelet wrote:

> Hello Stefan,
>
> Do you have a complete example using e.g. an uicontrol or else ?
>
> S.
>
>> Le 17 oct. 2020 à 16:49, Stefan Du Rietz <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> in the latest version Scilab 6.1.0, I have noticed that sometimes there is a long delay before the execution of a callback, If I try to measure it, e.g. by using tic()
>>
>>   "callback","tic();myfunction()"
>>
>> and then, in the beginning of myfunction(), having
>>
>>   disp(toc())
>>
>> the time is very short despite a delay of half a minute! Can anybody explain this and tell me how to find out what is going on?
>>
>> Thanks i advance
>> Stefan
Antoine Monmayrant Antoine Monmayrant

Re: callback delay

On 17/10/2020 21:00, Stefan Du Rietz wrote:
> Hello Stephane and Antoine,
>
> I tried to explain why I cannot. After I have pressed the button with
> the callback, I can see that it takes a long time until the toc()
> message from the start of myfunction arrives. I don't know how to get
> the time from my button-press. Any idea?
No, I'm afraid it goes beyond my field of expertise.
It seems to me that the issue is that java is taking for ever to tell
scilab to call the callback function after you pressed the button.
I don't see how you can catch it using "callback","tic();myfunction()"as
for me I think the time-line is like:

[Java] ButtonHasBeenReleased ... wait forever for unknown reason ... oh,
by the way, I'm supposed to register that the ButtonHasBeenReleased
[Java] > [Scilab] ButtonHasBeenReleased, I call  "tic();myfunction()"
[Scilab].

I think you need a way to measure this delay for within Java. I am not
sure you can do it from within Scilab.

Sorry I cannot help more,

Antoine

> Stefan
>

> On 2020-10-17 17:10, Stéphane Mottelet wrote:
>> Hello Stefan,
>>
>> Do you have a complete example using e.g. an uicontrol or else ?
>>
>> S.
>>
>>> Le 17 oct. 2020 à 16:49, Stefan Du Rietz <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> in the latest version Scilab 6.1.0, I have noticed that sometimes
>>> there is a long delay before the execution of a callback, If I try
>>> to measure it, e.g. by using tic()
>>>
>>>   "callback","tic();myfunction()"
>>>
>>> and then, in the beginning of myfunction(), having
>>>
>>>   disp(toc())
>>>
>>> the time is very short despite a delay of half a minute! Can anybody
>>> explain this and tell me how to find out what is going on?
>>>
>>> Thanks i advance
>>> Stefan
Antoine Monmayrant Antoine Monmayrant

Re: callback delay

Even If you cannot measure the issue, if you have a minimum working
example that triggers this bug, it would be helpful to share it with us
so we can try to reproduce the issue and maybe link it to some version
of java or your os.

By the way, did you try to take another computer and do a vanilla
install of scilab and try to reproduce the issue?
Maybe trying different os/java jdk might give some hint at the source
for this bug...

Antoine

On 17/10/2020 21:00, Stefan Du Rietz wrote:

> Hello Stephane and Antoine,
>
> I tried to explain why I cannot. After I have pressed the button with
> the callback, I can see that it takes a long time until the toc()
> message from the start of myfunction arrives. I don't know how to get
> the time from my button-press. Any idea?
>
> Stefan
>

> On 2020-10-17 17:10, Stéphane Mottelet wrote:
>> Hello Stefan,
>>
>> Do you have a complete example using e.g. an uicontrol or else ?
>>
>> S.
>>
>>> Le 17 oct. 2020 à 16:49, Stefan Du Rietz <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> in the latest version Scilab 6.1.0, I have noticed that sometimes
>>> there is a long delay before the execution of a callback, If I try
>>> to measure it, e.g. by using tic()
>>>
>>>   "callback","tic();myfunction()"
>>>
>>> and then, in the beginning of myfunction(), having
>>>
>>>   disp(toc())
>>>
>>> the time is very short despite a delay of half a minute! Can anybody
>>> explain this and tell me how to find out what is going on?
>>>
>>> Thanks i advance
>>> Stefan
Stefan Du Rietz Stefan Du Rietz

Re: callback delay

Hello Antoine,

thank you very much for your replies, especially your hint about Java.
The problem is that my GUI is rather complex with several levels and the
delay is not always happening. However, when it does, it is extremely
annoying!  It never happened in Scilab 6.0.2.

I will try to analyze the issue deeper according to your propositions,
and if I manage to isolate it, I will provide an example.

Stefan

On 2020-10-18 10:10, Antoine Monmayrant wrote:

> Even If you cannot measure the issue, if you have a minimum working
> example that triggers this bug, it would be helpful to share it with us
> so we can try to reproduce the issue and maybe link it to some version
> of java or your os.
>
> By the way, did you try to take another computer and do a vanilla
> install of scilab and try to reproduce the issue?
> Maybe trying different os/java jdk might give some hint at the source
> for this bug...
>
> Antoine
>
> On 17/10/2020 21:00, Stefan Du Rietz wrote:
>> Hello Stephane and Antoine,
>>
>> I tried to explain why I cannot. After I have pressed the button with
>> the callback, I can see that it takes a long time until the toc()
>> message from the start of myfunction arrives. I don't know how to get
>> the time from my button-press. Any idea?
>>
>> Stefan
>>

>> On 2020-10-17 17:10, Stéphane Mottelet wrote:
>>> Hello Stefan,
>>>
>>> Do you have a complete example using e.g. an uicontrol or else ?
>>>
>>> S.

Re: callback delay

Hello,

Did you try to play with the callback_property ? I think that making the callback  interruptible or non interruptible may change things.

S.

On 18/10/2020 10:43, Stefan Du Rietz wrote:
> Hello Antoine,
>
> thank you very much for your replies, especially your hint about Java.
> The problem is that my GUI is rather complex with several levels and
> the delay is not always happening. However, when it does, it is
> extremely annoying!  It never happened in Scilab 6.0.2.

OK, that's a thing you can try: can you test 6.1.0 & 6.0.2 on the same
computer, with everything else being identical but for the version of
scilab?

Antoine

On 2020-10-18 19:34, Antoine Monmayrant wrote:

> On 18/10/2020 10:43, Stefan Du Rietz wrote:
>> Hello Antoine,
>>
>> thank you very much for your replies, especially your hint about Java.
>> The problem is that my GUI is rather complex with several levels and
>> the delay is not always happening. However, when it does, it is
>> extremely annoying!  It never happened in Scilab 6.0.2.
>
> OK, that's a thing you can try: can you test 6.1.0 & 6.0.2 on the same
> computer, with everything else being identical but for the version of
> scilab?
>
> Antoine

That is exactly what I have done! On a computer with 64-bit Xubuntu
(Ubuntu with XFCE) 18.04 LTS with everything updated.

These files are exactly alike:
/usr/local/scilab/scilab-6.0.2/thirdparty/java/release
/usr/local/scilab/scilab-6.1.0/thirdparty/java/release

Please look further below!

Stefan

>> I will try to analyze the issue deeper according to your propositions,
>> and if I manage to isolate it, I will provide an example.
>>
>> Stefan
>>

>> On 2020-10-18 10:10, Antoine Monmayrant wrote:
>>> Even If you cannot measure the issue, if you have a minimum working
>>> example that triggers this bug, it would be helpful to share it with
>>> us so we can try to reproduce the issue and maybe link it to some
>>> version of java or your os.
>>>
>>> By the way, did you try to take another computer and do a vanilla
>>> install of scilab and try to reproduce the issue?
>>> Maybe trying different os/java jdk might give some hint at the source
>>> for this bug...
>>>
>>> Antoine

I have now done that with a small, simple (Atom processor) computer with
32-bit Windows 10 (updated) and there is no extra delay compared to
Scilab 5.5.2 on the same computer (everything is pretty slow with Java
GUI's compared to previous Scilab versions with Tcl/Tk!).

Stefan

On 2020-10-19 13:11, Stefan Du Rietz wrote:

> On 2020-10-18 19:34, Antoine Monmayrant wrote:
>>
>> On 18/10/2020 10:43, Stefan Du Rietz wrote:
>>> Hello Antoine,
>>>
>>> thank you very much for your replies, especially your hint about
>>> Java. The problem is that my GUI is rather complex with several
>>> levels and the delay is not always happening. However, when it does,
>>> it is extremely annoying!  It never happened in Scilab 6.0.2.
>>
>> OK, that's a thing you can try: can you test 6.1.0 & 6.0.2 on the same
>> computer, with everything else being identical but for the version of
>> scilab?
>>
>> Antoine
>>
> That is exactly what I have done! On a computer with 64-bit Xubuntu
> (Ubuntu with XFCE) 18.04 LTS with everything updated.
>
> These files are exactly alike:
> /usr/local/scilab/scilab-6.0.2/thirdparty/java/release
> /usr/local/scilab/scilab-6.1.0/thirdparty/java/release
>
> Please look further below!
>
> Stefan
>>>
>>> I will try to analyze the issue deeper according to your
>>> propositions, and if I manage to isolate it, I will provide an example.
>>>
>>> Stefan

> I have now done that with a small, simple (Atom processor) computer with
> 32-bit Windows 10 (updated) and there is no extra delay compared to
> Scilab 5.5.2 on the same computer (everything is pretty slow with Java
> GUI's compared to previous Scilab versions with Tcl/Tk!).
>
> Stefan

And the same Java version in Window as in Linux aboves:
C:\Program Files\scilab-6.1.0\java\JRE\release
"1.8.0.151"

Stefan

On 2020-10-18 16:12, Stéphane Mottelet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Did you try to play with the callback_property ? I think that making the callback  interruptible or non interruptible may change things.
>
> S.

Hello Stéphane,

thanks for the proposition, which never concurred to me! But, since
there is no delay under windows (my later reply: 2020-10-19 13:11), is
there any use doing that?

I would, however, like to understand the different Callback_Type values.
The Scilab help under "uicontrol properties" is not obvious to me.

What is, e.g., the difference between "a Scilab function" and "Scilab
instructions"? Isn't "myfunction()" an instruction?

Stefan