[Scilab-users] creating nice svg-files

der_Phil der_Phil

[Scilab-users] creating nice svg-files

Dear all,

I try to create some svg-files using xs2svg.

In the plot I use xfpoly to draw regions of interest in different colours.

// plot the ROI 1
xfpoly(roi1_X, roi1_Y ,color_roi1);
e=gce();
e.foreground = color_roi1;
e.line_mode = "off";
// plot the ROI 2
xfpoly(roi2_X, roi2_Y ,color_roi2);
e=gce();
e.foreground = color_roi2;
e.line_mode = "off";

The code itself is running, and the plot in Scilab looks as expected...even when I zoom into the graph it's all nice.

However:
This can be seen when I open the svg with inkscape.

Yes: I could use xs2png, but I'ld prefer xs2svg.

Any idea how to avoid these black lines..see example below?

Philipp

grafik.png
example of xs2svg export

grafik.png
example of xs2png export

Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan

Re: {EXT} creating nice svg-files

> De : users [mailto:[hidden email]] De la part de P M
> Envoyé : jeudi 28 février 2019 20:06
> When I export the plot with xs2svg some thin black lines appear within the regions.
> This can be seen when I open the svg with inkscape.
> [...] Any idea how to avoid these black lines.

I don't know for your case but I usually rework a bit the SVG files created by Scilab.

I noticed for example that the white background is made of several rectangles and right triangles, I simplify the paths etc.

I wonder if the black line is not a seam between two surfaces:
maybe your red surface is made of two objects instead of one and you might join them.

HTH

Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan
Mechanical calculation engineer

Public
This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error), please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.
der_Phil der_Phil

Re: {EXT} creating nice svg-files

Hi Christophe

... I figured out that in inkscape one can combine paths...( Ctrl++ )... so that creates just one single area.
so i have a solution.

However it might be interesting to know, how Scilab fills the polygon when saving it as an svg.
To me it seems something similar to a tessalation...building triangles to fill the area.
The lines in the image are the triangle edges.

In my example the red surface is a fill of one single polygon.
Also the green area is the fill of one single polygon.

Thanks,
Philipp

Am Fr., 1. März 2019 um 09:13 Uhr schrieb Dang Ngoc Chan, Christophe <[hidden email]>:

> De : users [mailto:[hidden email]] De la part de P M
> Envoyé : jeudi 28 février 2019 20:06
> This can be seen when I open the svg with inkscape.
> [...] Any idea how to avoid these black lines.

I wonder if the black line is not a seam between two surfaces:

HTH

Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan
Mechanical calculation engineer

Public

Re: creating nice svg-files

Le 01/03/2019 à 14:20, P M a écrit :

> Hi Christophe
> ... I figured out that in inkscape one can combine paths...( Ctrl++
> )... so that creates just one single area.
> so i have a solution.
> However it might be interesting to know, how Scilab fills the polygon
> when saving it as an svg.
> To me it seems something similar to a tessalation...building triangles
> to fill the area.
> The lines in the image are the triangle edges.

Yes, it's the case, at least as soon as the figure is in 3D. In 3D,
every surface defined by a set of (not necessarily coplanar) vertices is
decomposed as a set of joined triangles.

These "edges" are not extra drawn lines, but a very thin space (likely
1-pixel thin) in-between almost joined triangles edges. Indeed, changing
the background color changes their color.
The fix would be to output some triangles oversized by 1/10000 ?
This could have some potential drawbacks, like (partly) hiding some
lines actually drawn as edges, etc.
To be assessed.

Re: creating nice svg-files

Le 01/03/2019 à 17:27, Samuel Gougeon a écrit :

> Le 01/03/2019 à 14:20, P M a écrit :
>> Hi Christophe
>> ... I figured out that in inkscape one can combine paths...( Ctrl++
>> )... so that creates just one single area.
>> so i have a solution.
>> However it might be interesting to know, how Scilab fills the polygon
>> when saving it as an svg.
>> To me it seems something similar to a tessalation...building
>> triangles to fill the area.
>> The lines in the image are the triangle edges.
> Yes, it's the case, at least as soon as the figure is in 3D. In 3D,
> every surface defined by a set of (not necessarily coplanar) vertices
> is decomposed as a set of joined triangles.
> These "edges" are not extra drawn lines, but a very thin space (likely
> 1-pixel thin) in-between almost joined triangles edges. Indeed,
> changing the background color changes their color.
> The fix would be to output some triangles oversized by 1/10000 ?

Maybe there is some SVG internal property directly tuning this effect. I
will look at that.

Re: {EXT} creating nice svg-files

In reply to this post by der_Phil
This issue is now reported as bug 15991.

A way to correct it is provided in the report. However, implementing this fix
for Scilab -- that uses an external library for SVG exports -- might be not possible.

Le 01/03/2019 à 14:20, P M a écrit :
Hi Christophe

so i have a solution.

The lines in the image are the triangle edges.

In my example the red surface is a fill of one single polygon.
Also the green area is the fill of one single polygon.

Thanks,