[Scilab-users] grand in loop

jbaudais jbaudais

[Scilab-users] grand in loop

Hello,

I have an incomprehensible problem with the following line code in the
Scilab window

> for i=1:2000, mprintf("%d\r",i);grand(1,1000000,"exp",1); end

It prints nothing after i=1859 but continues to run! I cannot kill it or
stop it with Scilab tools. When I kill the Scilab window, the process
continues to consume 100% CPU. I have to kill it with the linux kill
command. I work with Scilab 5.5.2.1427793548 on Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS.
Thanks for your help,

Jean-Yves

Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan

> I have an incomprehensible problem with the following line code in the Scilab
> window
>
> > for i=1:2000, mprintf("%d\r",i);grand(1,1000000,"exp",1); end
>
> It prints nothing after i=1859 but continues to run

I have the same problem with Scilab 6.0.2 under Windows 7.

Maybe you should fill in a bug file on http://bugzilla.scilab.org/

General

Re: grand in loop

Hello,

Can you test without the mprintf  ?

S.

> Le 30 sept. 2019 à 10:44, Dang Ngoc Chan, Christophe <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hello,

Re: {EXT} Re: grand in loop

Hello

I personally tested with disp(i) (the display was more convenient for me).

General
jbaudais jbaudais

Re: {EXT} Re: grand in loop

I used disp instead of mprintf and it is the same. I removed mprintf, so the
code is

> for i=1:2000, grand(1,1000000,"exp",1); end

and after some minutes I cannot stop or kill within Scilab. I must use the
kill linux command. That's incredible!!!

Jean-Yves

jbaudais jbaudais

Re: grand in loop

I cannot create an account on http://bugzilla.scilab.org! I did not received
email... If someone could send a but report?
Thanks,

Jean-Yves

Re: grand in loop

Le 30/09/2019 à 14:40, jbaudais a écrit :

> I cannot create an account on https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/1/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/bugzilla.scilab.org! I did not received
> email...

Did you check your SPAM folder ?

Re: {EXT} Re: grand in loop

Le 30/09/2019 à 11:23, jbaudais a écrit :

> I used disp instead of mprintf and it is the same. I removed mprintf, so the
> code is
>
>> for i=1:2000, grand(1,1000000,"exp",1); end
> and after some minutes I cannot stop or kill within Scilab. I must use the
> kill linux command. That's incredible!!!

There are other incredible things in Scilab, but this one seems quite
easy to track.

First of all, this is not a problem in the Scilab kernel itself, but
rather localized in the random generator itself. More precisely in the
base uniform generator. If you change the default one (Mersenne-Twister)
by the "Keep It Simple Stupid" :

grand("setgen","kiss")

then your script does not freeze Scilab. However, with the default
Mersenne-Twister generator the freeze occurs very early before the
2^19937 period so it does not seem so simple  but I think we can fix the
issue. In the meantime, please use "kiss" generator which has a
not-so-small period (2^131).

jbaudais jbaudais

Re: grand in loop

mottelet wrote
> Did you check your SPAM folder ?

Yes I did. I think it's a firewall problem and it could come from Renater
(this already happened)! I'm going to check with my intitution.

Thanks

Jean-Yves