[Scilab-users] help page

Hello,

Is there a simple and easy way to convert a *single* xml help page to pdf ?

fmiyara fmiyara

Re: help page

Stéphane,

You may try opening it and printing with PDFCreator (Freeware). Probably
with Libre Office it is also possible. There are many xml types of
files, Libre Office has in its lists of files that can be opened several
xml.

Regards,

Federico Miyara

On 26/04/2019 12:45, Stéphane Mottelet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a simple and easy way to convert a *single* xml help page to
> pdf ?
>
> S.

---

amonmayr amonmayr

Re: ?==?utf-8?q? help page

Hello Stéphane,

Not sure this does what you expect, but I think pandoc can do the trick:
foo.xml copied from : https://help.scilab.org/docs/5.5.2/en_US/man.html

pandoc -f docbook -t latex foo.xml -o foo.pdf

Antoine

Le Vendredi, Avril 26, 2019 17:45 CEST, Stéphane Mottelet <[hidden email]> a écrit:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a simple and easy way to convert a *single* xml help page to pdf ?
>
> S.
>
> --
> Stéphane Mottelet
> Ingénieur de recherche
> EA 4297 Transformations Intégrées de la Matière Renouvelable
> Département Génie des Procédés Industriels
> Sorbonne Universités - Université de Technologie de Compiègne
> CS 60319, 60203 Compiègne cedex
> Tel : +33(0)344234688
> http://www.utc.fr/~mottelet

Re: ?==?utf-8?q? help page

Le 26/04/2019 à 19:10, Antoine Monmayrant a écrit :

> Hello Stéphane,
>
> Not sure this does what you expect, but I think pandoc can do the trick:
> foo.xml copied from : https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/help.scilab.org/docs/5.5.2/en_US/man.html
>
> pandoc -f docbook -t latex foo.xml -o foo.pdf

OK, but you need the Scilab stylesheets in order to have the correct
output. I suppose the above assumes a basic rendering. My question was
rather about doing this within Scilab. The example of the help page does
not work on my machine for html and pdf output.

S.

> Antoine
>
> Le Vendredi, Avril 26, 2019 17:45 CEST, Stéphane Mottelet <[hidden email]> a écrit:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a simple and easy way to convert a *single* xml help page to pdf ?
>>
>> S.
>>
>> --
>> Stéphane Mottelet
>> Ingénieur de recherche
>> EA 4297 Transformations Intégrées de la Matière Renouvelable
>> Département Génie des Procédés Industriels
>> Sorbonne Universités - Université de Technologie de Compiègne
>> CS 60319, 60203 Compiègne cedex
>> Tel : +33(0)344234688
>> https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/1/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/www.utc.fr/~mottelet

Re: help page

Hello,

Le 26/04/2019 à 19:40, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :
Le 26/04/2019 à 19:10, Antoine Monmayrant a écrit :

Hello Stéphane,

Not sure this does what you expect, but I think pandoc can do the trick:
foo.xml copied from : https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/help.scilab.org/docs/5.5.2/en_US/man.html

pandoc -f docbook -t latex foo.xml -o foo.pdf

OK, but you need the Scilab stylesheets in order to have the correct output. I suppose the above assumes a basic rendering. My question was rather about doing this within Scilab. The example of the help page does not work on my machine for html and pdf output.

To do this, i have created a template toolbox restricted to ./etc/page.start (void), ./help/la_LA series of languages subdirs, and ./jar empty.
I make a copy of the template. Then, i put in ./help/en_US the main xml file (etc for other languages),
I set the current directory to the root dir of the template, and run
--> tbx_make . help  // (*)
Then i display the HTML page in Chrome, preview the printing in PDF, tune its layout, and that's OK.

Why on your side does it fail to generate the html? Any error message in the terminal?

Samuel

(*) When the page generates some <scilab:image> images, be sure to not have any opened graphic figure before building the page.

Re: help page

[...]

When I run the example of xmltopdf help page, all generated pdf files are empty.

Le 26/04/2019 à 22:03, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :

[...]

Yes, the PDF generator is KO. This is reported for years now.
But HTML pages can be well generated.

Lucien Povy Lucien Povy

Re: help page. good xmltops.

> Le 26/04/2019 à 22:03, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :
>>
>> Le 26/04/2019 à 21:23, Samuel Gougeon a écrit :

>>> To do this, i have created a template toolbox restricted to
>>> ./etc/page.start (void), ./help/la_LA series of languages subdirs,
>>> and ./jar empty.
>>> I make a copy of the template. Then, i put in ./help/en_US the main
>>> xml file (etc for other languages),
>>> I set the current directory to the root dir of the template, and run
>>> --> tbx_make . help  // (*)
>>> Then i display the HTML page in Chrome, preview the printing in PDF,
>>> tune its layout, and that's OK.
>>>
>>> Why on your side does it fail to generate the html? Any error
>>> message in the terminal?
>>
>> When I run the example of xmltopdf help page, all generated pdf files
>> are empty.
>>

> Yes, the PDF generator is KO. This is reported for years now.
> But HTML pages can be well generate.

Hello;

No problem with "xmltops" with scilab -6.0.0 and 6.0.1 and ...

after with good program like "okular" with linux you transform help-
blabla .ps to help-blabla.pdf.

Re: help page. good xmltops.

Le 27/04/2019 à 17:26, Lucien Povy a écrit :

> Le 26/04/2019 à 22:07, Samuel Gougeon a écrit :

>>> When I run the example of xmltopdf help page, all generated pdf
>>> files are empty.
>>>

>> Yes, the PDF generator is KO. This is reported for years now.
>> But HTML pages can be well generate.
>
> Hello;
>
> No problem with "xmltops" with scilab -6.0.0 and 6.0.1 and ...

Runs fine. Thanks

S.