[Scilab-users] k*Ts - tr: Re: CLR design component is not clear in scilab 6.0.2 x64 W10

Pierre PERRICHON Pierre PERRICHON

[Scilab-users] k*Ts - tr: Re: CLR design component is not clear in scilab 6.0.2 x64 W10

Dear Samuel,

if we replace Ts by k*Ts, what does it give? (we hope the same symbol than for .s

Sincerely

> Message du 31/10/19 15:11
> De : "Pierre PERRICHON" <[hidden email]>
> A : "UsersmailinglistforScilab" <[hidden email]>
> Copie à :
> Objet : tr: Re: [Scilab-users] CLR design component is not clear in scilab 6.0.2 x64 W10

Dear all

I think this representation (Federico) is the best one and the most relevant.
It is even better than the one proposed in Simulink.
I sincerely and strongly hope it will be adopted

> Best regards
Pierre

Le 30/10/2019 à 23:25, Federico Miyara a écrit :

> Samuel,
>
> In another e-mail that for some reason was not sent (and was completely deleted...) I mentioned this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mathematical_symbols and standard ISO 80000-2, which in its clause 9, item 2.9.5

> > > I have well received it, but in private, and ending with this reference, that is not public (to buy)
> (not sure that i can access to it from my University. Will try later).

says that symbol for multiplication is either · or ×, and that they can be omitted if no misunderstanding is possible, and presents two examples of omission, one with space, such as a b, and one without space, such as ab (I suppose this is when one has been already using a and b or they are immediately explained).

> > > Thanks for this explicitness.
>

> I like the space more, it is more general and the only situation where it would be ambiguous is between numbers, such as 1.234 58 (since the thousand separator is a short space according to the ISO-BIPM GUM), but between numbers × is customary.
>

> > > It would be very hard (and easily prone to errors, due to many specific cases, using parentheses, etc) to parse the input to detect all possible cases (1-char symbols, multiple-char symbols, literal numbers with or without exponential notations, real or complex, etc) and adapt the multiplication symbol accordingly.
>
> We might even define a "Ts.s=2" structure field in the context, and use it in the input. It works.
> ;-)
>
> A final possible gallery:

> > > Regards

Re: k*Ts - tr: Re: CLR design component is not clear in scilab 6.0.2 x64 W10

Le 31/10/2019 à 15:29, Pierre PERRICHON a écrit :

>  Dear Samuel,
>
> if we replace Ts by k*Ts, what does it give? (we hope the same symbol
> than for .s

Pierre,

As written yesterday, we can't use different symbols/separators for
distinct kind of left and right operands.
If we chose one, it will be the only and same one for all
multiplications. So yes, it will be the same symbol.

PS: could you please use "Reply to: users@"  when following-up a discussion?
Otherwise, this breaks the thread and makes harder reading it, and
duplicates threads.

Pierre PERRICHON Pierre PERRICHON

Re: k*Ts - tr: Re: CLR design component is not clear in scilab 6.0.2 x64 W10

Dear Samuel and Xcosers-scilabers

It's OK

Sorry for the reply, my favorite outlook has broken today, and I have had to go on the orange plateform which is more difficult for me.

OK only one separator of course. This is perfect

the "*" was for the dialog box, not for the final rendering of the xcos  box screen of course.

Regards

I hope this message is correct fot the thread

Pierre

PS : in my neighborhood we go to fiber
So intermittent communication right now