[Scilab-users] lincos instruction : example file pendulum_anim45.zcos is corrupted - Buggzilla 16221

123
Pierre PERRICHON Pierre PERRICHON

[Scilab-users] lincos instruction : example file pendulum_anim45.zcos is corrupted - Buggzilla 16221

Hello,

I seems impossible to correctly open the lincos example, so file "SCI/modules/xcos/tests/unit_tests/pendulum_anim45.zcos"
I’ve written a buggzilla n° 16221

Heinz Nabielek-3 Heinz Nabielek-3

[Scilab-users] Scilab cannot work on macOS 10.15 Catalina: Any progress in sight?

HELP: after Mac breakdown, I had no other option than installting macOS 10.15 Catalina and now Scilab cannot work, because the nasty Apple people do not allow Java 6.

Any progress in sight?

Heinz

Re: Scilab cannot work on macOS 10.15 Catalina: Any progress in sight?

Hello,

Le 27/10/2019 à 23:51, Heinz Nabielek a écrit :
> HELP: after Mac breakdown, I had no other option than installting macOS 10.15 Catalina
You always have the choice (using the recovery mode) to reinstall the
OSX version that was bundled with your Mac at purchase time.
> and now Scilab cannot work, because the nasty Apple people do not allow Java 6.
>
> Any progress in sight?

No. I warned everybody less that one month ago...

S.

On 28.10.2019, at 11:08, Stéphane Mottelet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Le 27/10/2019 à 23:51, Heinz Nabielek a écrit :
>> HELP: after Mac breakdown, I had no other option than installting macOS 10.15 Catalina
> You always have the choice (using the recovery mode) to reinstall the OSX version that was bundled with your Mac at purchase time.
>> and now Scilab cannot work, because the nasty Apple people do not allow Java 6.
>>
>> Any progress in sight?
>
> No. I warned everybody less that one month ago…

Thanks a lot. I did not have a choice…

There is an ancient Win10 PC around somewhere….
Heinz

knobs knobs

Re: Scilab cannot work on macOS 10.15 Catalina: Any progress in sight?

Hi Heinz, Did you find a fix? I had SciLab 6 running perfectly well on my Macs under both Mojave and High Sierra without installing Java 6. This is not an Apple problem, but a SciLab issue. Honestly, I do not understand why SciLab has to use be Java 6 ?!! Seems backwards to me. There was a way to tell old java apps to use the new up-to-date java. I just do not remember how I did this anymore. So after installing Catalina, Scilab does not work anymore. It must have removed my java links/fix. Once I figure it out again, I let you know. Cheers Willi

Le 2 nov. 2019 à 17:41, knobs <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi Heinz, Did you find a fix? I had SciLab 6 running perfectly well on my Macs under both Mojave and High Sierra without installing Java 6. This is not an Apple problem, but a SciLab issue.

This IS an Apple issue.

Honestly, I do not understand why SciLab has to use be Java 6 ?!! Seems backwards to me. There was a way to tell old java apps to use the new up-to-date java. I just do not remember how I did this anymore.

See

So after installing Catalina, Scilab does not work anymore. It must have removed my java links/fix. Once I figure it out again, I let you know. Cheers Willi

The first thing you can do is to launch Scilab from the command line and post the error message.

On 02.11.2019, at 21:56, Stéphane Mottelet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> Le 2 nov. 2019 à 17:41, knobs <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Hi Heinz, Did you find a fix? I had SciLab 6 running perfectly well on my Macs under both Mojave and High Sierra without installing Java 6. This is not an Apple problem, but a SciLab issue.
>
> This IS an Apple issue.
>
>> Honestly, I do not understand why SciLab has to use be Java 6 ?!! Seems backwards to me. There was a way to tell old java apps to use the new up-to-date java. I just do not remember how I did this anymore.
>
> See
>
> https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2015/08/08/modifying-oracles-java-sdk-to-run-java-applications-on-os-x/
>
>> So after installing Catalina, Scilab does not work anymore. It must have removed my java links/fix. Once I figure it out again, I let you know. Cheers Willi
>
> The first thing you can do is to launch Scilab from the command line and post the error message.

Exactly same error window messages and ...

/Applications/scilab-6.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/scilab -nw
true
No Java runtime present, requesting install.

Re: Scilab cannot work on macOS 10.15 Catalina: Any progress in sight?

> Le 2 nov. 2019 à 22:33, Heinz Nabielek <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> On 02.11.2019, at 21:56, Stéphane Mottelet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,

>>> Hi Heinz, Did you find a fix? I had SciLab 6 running perfectly well on my Macs under both Mojave and High Sierra without installing Java 6. This is not an Apple problem, but a SciLab issue.
>>
>> This IS an Apple issue.
>>
>>> Honestly, I do not understand why SciLab has to use be Java 6 ?!! Seems backwards to me. There was a way to tell old java apps to use the new up-to-date java. I just do not remember how I did this anymore.
>>
>> See
>>
>> https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/derflounder.wordpress.com/2015/08/08/modifying-oracles-java-sdk-to-run-java-applications-on-os-x/
>>
>>> So after installing Catalina, Scilab does not work anymore. It must have removed my java links/fix. Once I figure it out again, I let you know. Cheers Willi
>>
>> The first thing you can do is to launch Scilab from the command line and post the error message.
>

> Exactly same error window messages and ...
>
> /Applications/scilab-6.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/scilab -nw
> true
> No Java runtime present, requesting install.

Re: Scilab cannot work on macOS 10.15 Catalina: Any progress in sight?

Hello Heinz

Please install Oracle JDK 1.8  and follow the instructions in the link I gave below.

S.

> Le 2 nov. 2019 à 22:33, Heinz Nabielek <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> On 02.11.2019, at 21:56, Stéphane Mottelet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> This IS an Apple issue.
>>> Honestly, I do not understand why SciLab has to use be Java 6 ?!! Seems backwards to me. There was a way to tell old java apps to use the new up-to-date java. I just do not remember how I did this anymore.
>> See
>> https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/derflounder.wordpress.com/2015/08/08/modifying-oracles-java-sdk-to-run-java-applications-on-os-x/
>>> So after installing Catalina, Scilab does not work anymore. It must have removed my java links/fix. Once I figure it out again, I let you know. Cheers Willi
>> The first thing you can do is to launch Scilab from the command line and post the error message.
>

> Exactly same error window messages and ...
>
> /Applications/scilab-6.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/scilab -nw
> true
> No Java runtime present, requesting install.

Re: Scilab cannot work on macOS 10.15 Catalina: Any progress in sight?

BTW can you launch Scilab on the command line with -nwni flag in order to see other (besides Java) potential problems ?

S.

> Le 2 nov. 2019 à 22:33, Heinz Nabielek <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> On 02.11.2019, at 21:56, Stéphane Mottelet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,

>>> Hi Heinz, Did you find a fix? I had SciLab 6 running perfectly well on my Macs under both Mojave and High Sierra without installing Java 6. This is not an Apple problem, but a SciLab issue.
>>
>> This IS an Apple issue.
>>
>>> Honestly, I do not understand why SciLab has to use be Java 6 ?!! Seems backwards to me. There was a way to tell old java apps to use the new up-to-date java. I just do not remember how I did this anymore.
>>
>> See
>>
>> https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/derflounder.wordpress.com/2015/08/08/modifying-oracles-java-sdk-to-run-java-applications-on-os-x/
>>
>>> So after installing Catalina, Scilab does not work anymore. It must have removed my java links/fix. Once I figure it out again, I let you know. Cheers Willi
>>
>> The first thing you can do is to launch Scilab from the command line and post the error message.
>

> Exactly same error window messages and ...
>
> /Applications/scilab-6.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/scilab -nw
> true
> No Java runtime present, requesting install.

Heinz Nabielek-3 Heinz Nabielek-3

Re: Scilab cannot work on macOS 10.15 Catalina: Any progress in sight?

Same error message windows, but starting on the command line. Great!

Would I have full SciLab power here?
Heinz

/Applications/scilab-6.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/scilab -nwni
true
Scilab 6.0.2 (Aug 19 2019, 11:47:50)

--> a=sqrt(3)
 a  =

   1.7320508

--> 3-a*a
 ans  =

   4.441D-16

--> exit

> On 02.11.2019, at 22:56, Stéphane Mottelet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> BTW can you launch Scilab on the command line with -nwni flag in order to see other (besides Java) potential problems ?
>
> S.
>
>> Le 2 nov. 2019 à 22:33, Heinz Nabielek <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> On 02.11.2019, at 21:56, Stéphane Mottelet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,

>>> This IS an Apple issue.

>>> See
>>>
>>> https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/derflounder.wordpress.com/2015/08/08/modifying-oracles-java-sdk-to-run-java-applications-on-os-x/

>>> The first thing you can do is to launch Scilab from the command line and post the error message.
>>

>> Exactly same error window messages and ...
>>
>> /Applications/scilab-6.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/scilab -nw
>> true
>> No Java runtime present, requesting install.

knobs knobs

Re: Scilab cannot work on macOS 10.15 Catalina: Any progress in sight?

Thank you :-)

After running the python script from the link that you had provided, Scilabs
6.0.1. starts under Catalina :-)

https://github.com/rtrouton/rtrouton_scripts/blob/master/rtrouton_scripts/update_oracle_java_jdk_jvmcapabilities/update_oracle_java_jdk_jvmcapabilities.py

I have not installed the latest version from Scilab, ... one fix at a time
;-)

As for java, SE version 1.8.0_231 and the jdk 13.0.1 are installed.

I also made sure, that macOS 10.15 is recognised in the scilab start script.

Cheers
W.

knobs knobs

Re: Scilab cannot work on macOS 10.15 Catalina: Any progress in sight?

Hi,

Just installed Scilab 6.0.2. and now the real funs starts. ATOMS has issues:

--> atomsList();
Scanning repository http://atoms.scilab.org/6.0 ... Done

at line    65 of function atomsDESCRIPTIONread (
/Applications/scilab-6.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/share/scilab/modules/atoms/macros/atoms_internals/atomsDESCRIPTIONread.sci
line 125 )
at line   227 of function atomsDESCRIPTIONget  (
/Applications/scilab-6.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/share/scilab/modules/atoms/macros/atoms_internals/atomsDESCRIPTIONget.sci
line 246 )
at line    38 of function atomsList            (
/Applications/scilab-6.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/share/scilab/modules/atoms/macros/atomsList.sci
line 54 )

regexp: Unknown error.

I don't have this issue with 6.0.1.

W.

Re: Scilab cannot work on macOS 10.15 Catalina: Any progress in sight?

> Le 3 nov. 2019 à 00:34, knobs <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> Just installed Scilab 6.0.2. and now the real funs starts.

Frankly, I don’t appreciate your sense of humour. Keeping Scilab *alive* on OSX remains on the work of guys like you and me. So don’t be sarcastic when you report issues...

> ATOMS has issues:
>
> --> atomsList();
> Scanning repository https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/1/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/atoms.scilab.org/6.0 ... Done
>
> at line    65 of function atomsDESCRIPTIONread (
> /Applications/scilab-6.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/share/scilab/modules/atoms/macros/atoms_internals/atomsDESCRIPTIONread.sci
> line 125 )
> at line   227 of function atomsDESCRIPTIONget  (
> /Applications/scilab-6.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/share/scilab/modules/atoms/macros/atoms_internals/atomsDESCRIPTIONget.sci
> line 246 )
> at line    38 of function atomsList            (
> /Applications/scilab-6.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/share/scilab/modules/atoms/macros/atomsList.sci
> line 54 )
>
> regexp: Unknown error.
>
> I don't have this issue with 6.0.1.
>
> W.

knobs knobs

Re: Scilab cannot work on macOS 10.15 Catalina: Any progress in sight?

Hi Stéphane,

Sorry, if you felt offended. I was simply reporting a bug.  I am spending
hours trying to get SciLab to work on macOS and compiling atoms toolboxes
from scratch that are not available (yet) for macOS. At 2 a.m. I can crack a
joke. Otherwise I would go insane. The world is not that black and white.

In any case, I found a work around, not a real solution. When starting
scilab through the Terminal window I can kind of load ATOMS, but not when
starting the app.

Cheers
Willi

Chin Luh Tan Chin Luh Tan

Re: Scilab cannot work on macOS 10.15 Catalina: Any progress in sight?

Hi Stéphane, Willi,

First of all, thanks for the fix on the java issues and the Scilab could be launch in Catalina!

Secondly, Willi, I was facing the same atoms issue with you when first launching the Scilab from the app, then I switch to the terminal and get it running. After the first time running from terminal, it seems to be alright to run from app after that. Could you confirm that?

Thanks.

rgds,
CL

---- On Sun, 03 Nov 2019 22:45:59 +0800 knobs <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Hi Stéphane,

Sorry, if you felt offended. I was simply reporting a bug. I am spending
hours trying to get SciLab to work on macOS and compiling atoms toolboxes
from scratch that are not available (yet) for macOS. At 2 a.m. I can crack a
joke. Otherwise I would go insane. The world is not that black and white.

In any case, I found a work around, not a real solution. When starting
scilab through the Terminal window I can kind of load ATOMS, but not when
starting the app.

Cheers
Willi

Chin Luh Tan Chin Luh Tan

Re: Scilab cannot work on macOS 10.15 Catalina: Any progress in sight?

One more thing, the macos compilation guide which is using fink might be a bit outdated, anyone having any idea, should we use homebrew, mac_port, instead?

thanks again.

rgds,
CL

---- On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 00:20:29 +0800 Chin Luh Tan <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Le 03/11/2019 à 15:45, knobs a écrit :

> Hi Stéphane,
>
> Sorry, if you felt offended. I was simply reporting a bug.  I am spending
> hours trying to get SciLab to work on macOS
You are not alone...
>   and compiling atoms toolboxes
> from scratch that are not available (yet) for macOS.

Glad to hear that kind of good news ! Which packages are you working on ?

> At 2 a.m. I can crack a
> joke. Otherwise I would go insane. The world is not that black and white.
>
> In any case, I found a work around, not a real solution. When starting
> scilab through the Terminal window I can kind of load ATOMS, but not when
> starting the app.

I remember I had this problem (regexp error) when working on Mojave
compatibility.
Are you sure to have the latest 6.0.2 build (please give the full
getversion() output) ?

Le 03/11/2019 à 17:20, Chin Luh Tan a écrit :
Hi Stéphane, Willi,

First of all, thanks for the fix on the java issues and the Scilab could be launch in Catalina!
We should be able to bundle the JRE with Scilab. I hope for the next release.

Le 03/11/2019 à 17:23, Chin Luh Tan a écrit :

One more thing, the macos compilation guide which is using fink might be a bit outdated,
The official 6.0.2 build has been done on a High Sierra machine which is completely dedicated to this task. Starting from Mojave working with Fink began to be very painfull, and as far as Catalina is concerned, the Fink maintainers started to fix things only after the official Apple release.
anyone having any idea, should we use homebrew, mac_port, instead?

On the other hand, the Homebrew guys prepared the transition during all the beta stage of Catalina. I have already made some Scilab builds with Homebrew and think I will use it for the next Scilab release. However, a bit of tweaking is necessary as some libraries have too recent versions (for example the libmatio recipe has to be modified to use [hidden email] instead of 1.10).

S.