[Scilab-users] lincos instruction : example file pendulum_anim45.zcos is corrupted - Buggzilla 16221

123
Chin Luh Tan Chin Luh Tan

Re: Scilab cannot work on macOS 10.15 Catalina: Any        progress in sight?

ok, i did:

1. Del both previous scilab and the scilab from your link installed just now to make it clean
2. Totally remove the .Scilab folder under home folder by using sudo rm -R .Scilab
3. Re-download the link
4. Double click and install (by dragging the scilab icon to application folder)
5. run scilab from the app and type atomsList

Same regexp error until i launch it from terminal, and then it is ok.

noted on the atoms issue for the modules with gateway, will try to look into it.

p/s: will continue any extra testing tomorrow.

---- On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 00:24:53 +0800 <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Obviously, between points 3 and 4 I moved the Scilab app from the archive in the Appplication folder.

[hidden email] a écrit :

I don't have the regexp error. Here is my complete workflow:

1 - Delete the eventual previous Sciab 6.0.2 I had in the /Applications/ folder
2 - Delete my .Scilab folder
3 - extract the .dmg I downloaded from http://www.utc.fr/~mottelet/scilab/download/6.0.2/scilab-6.0.2-x86_64-2019-11-04.dmg
4 - double click the Scilab icon (with first launch usual but annoying details...)
5 - click the ATOMS gui icon or type atomsList at Scilab prompt

Concerning the problem with IPCV (and maybe other packages with gateways, I only tested IPCV), I did not address it in the above archive. I only modified the scilab script (I will create a commit on codereview.scilab.org) and removed the libcurl.dylib that was shipped in lib/thirdparty folder.

Best,

S.

Chin Luh Tan <[hidden email]> a écrit :

from my end:

1. The warning for the 10.15 gone.
2. First launch from the app still give the regexp error when running atomsList, but after running one time from terminal and get it run successfully, I could run it from the app as after all.
3. atomsInstall for the module with gateway folder still extracted to 2 separate folders which need to be manually move in order for it to run. No issue for macros only module.

Thanks for the great effort. Is is possible to share the compilation steps?

---- On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 22:40:20 +0800 <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Did you test the Atoms stuff ?

Heinz Nabielek <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On 04.11.2019, at 14:55, [hidden email] wrote:

Thanks Samuel. So the regexp error can eventually have the same cause (libcurl version mismatch). I have packaged a scilab-6.0.2 without these libraries (and removing the 10.15 warning) for OSX users at the following URL:

CL, Heinz, Willi can you test it ?

Works to perfection and without this funny warning.

I recommend temporary renaming/moving your .Scilab/scilab-6.0.2 directory before testing

Thanks. Very helpful. Great suggestion. I would not have thought of it…..

Thanks for your dedication to this work.Heinz

mottelet mottelet

Re: Scilab cannot work on macOS 10.15 Catalina: Any&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; progress in sight?

There is a big difference in the inherited environment when scilab is launched from the command line and by clicking the icon.
In the past I solved a problem with the LANG variable

the second one is still not merged in master but has been included in 19 august build of Scilab 6.0.2 for OSX (the one available from www.scilab.org), since it was really blocking for many users.

Just to say that the regexp problem may be due to a similar problem (locale, encoding, ...)

S.

Chin Luh Tan <[hidden email]> a écrit :

ok, i did:

3. Re-download the link
4. Double click and install (by dragging the scilab icon to application folder)
5. run scilab from the app and type atomsList

Same regexp error until i launch it from terminal, and then it is ok.

p/s: will continue any extra testing tomorrow.

---- On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 00:24:53 +0800 <[hidden email]> wrote ----

[hidden email] a écrit :

I don't have the regexp error. Here is my complete workflow:

1 - Delete the eventual previous Sciab 6.0.2 I had in the /Applications/ folder
2 - Delete my .Scilab folder
5 - click the ATOMS gui icon or type atomsList at Scilab prompt

Best,

S.

Chin Luh Tan <[hidden email]> a écrit :

from my end:

1. The warning for the 10.15 gone.

Thanks for the great effort. Is is possible to share the compilation steps?

---- On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 22:40:20 +0800 <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Did you test the Atoms stuff ?

Heinz Nabielek <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On 04.11.2019, at 14:55, [hidden email] wrote:

CL, Heinz, Willi can you test it ?

Works to perfection and without this funny warning.

Thanks. Very helpful. Great suggestion. I would not have thought of it…..

Thanks for your dedication to this work.Heinz

Chin Luh Tan Chin Luh Tan

just to add on to the issue on the atomsInstall. I finally find out that the issue was due to the extra "__MACOSX" folder created during zip process under MAC.

"The __MACOSX folder is created when a Mac user creates and archive (also called a zip file) using the Mac. If the Mac user sends the zip file to another Mac user, the folder will not appear - this is a hidden folder. "

During the atomsInstall process, the module zip file will be downloaded in the SCI\contrib\module_name\module_name.zip (or the SCIHOME atoms) and extract it.

In this stage, for windows and linux, it will be only one directory in SCI\contrib\module_name, namely module_name, and it will be renamed to version number, such as 1.0, and the module installation would be successful.

In Mac, it will have extra __MACOSX folder (unless the module packager manually remove it) and it will cause the system to detect this folder as the newly created module, and rename this to the version number, which the actual folder module_name, will remained as it is and gives error during module loading.

While guideline could be given to the modules developer to remove the _MACOSX folder before releasing it, we could also add the following line in atomsExtract function to ensure the renaming function find the correct folder instead of __MACOSX folder.

atomsExtract.sci

// Get the list of directories after the extraction
    // =========================================================================

dirs_after = atomsListDir(dir_out);

dirs_after(dirs_after=='__MACOSX') = [];   // <-- extra line proposed to add

// Get the name of the created directory
    // =========================================================================

dir_created = [];

for j=1:size(dirs_after,"*")
        if find(dirs_after(j) == dirs_before) == [] then
            dir_created = dirs_after(j);
            break;
    end

This shall solve the issue of module installation problem under MACOS.

Thanks.

---- On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 01:06:37 +0800 <[hidden email]> wrote ----

In the past I solved a problem with the LANG variable

S.

Chin Luh Tan <[hidden email]> a écrit :

ok, i did:

3. Re-download the link
4. Double click and install (by dragging the scilab icon to application folder)
5. run scilab from the app and type atomsList

Same regexp error until i launch it from terminal, and then it is ok.

p/s: will continue any extra testing tomorrow.

---- On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 00:24:53 +0800 <[hidden email]> wrote ----

[hidden email] a écrit :

I don't have the regexp error. Here is my complete workflow:

1 - Delete the eventual previous Sciab 6.0.2 I had in the /Applications/ folder
2 - Delete my .Scilab folder
5 - click the ATOMS gui icon or type atomsList at Scilab prompt

Best,

S.

Chin Luh Tan <[hidden email]> a écrit :

from my end:

1. The warning for the 10.15 gone.

Thanks for the great effort. Is is possible to share the compilation steps?

---- On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 22:40:20 +0800 <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Did you test the Atoms stuff ?

Heinz Nabielek <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On 04.11.2019, at 14:55, [hidden email] wrote:

CL, Heinz, Willi can you test it ?

Works to perfection and without this funny warning.

Thanks. Very helpful. Great suggestion. I would not have thought of it…..

Thanks for your dedication to this work.Heinz

dir_created = [];

for j=1:size(dirs_after,"*")
        if find(dirs_after(j) == dirs_before) == [] then
            dir_created = dirs_after(j);
            break;
    end

This shall solve the issue of module installation problem under MACOS.

Thanks.

---- On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 01:06:37 +0800 <[hidden email]> wrote ----

In the past I solved a problem with the LANG variable

S.

Chin Luh Tan <[hidden email]> a écrit :

ok, i did:

3. Re-download the link
4. Double click and install (by dragging the scilab icon to application folder)
5. run scilab from the app and type atomsList

Same regexp error until i launch it from terminal, and then it is ok.

p/s: will continue any extra testing tomorrow.

---- On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 00:24:53 +0800 <[hidden email]> wrote ----

[hidden email] a écrit :

I don't have the regexp error. Here is my complete workflow:

1 - Delete the eventual previous Sciab 6.0.2 I had in the /Applications/ folder
2 - Delete my .Scilab folder
5 - click the ATOMS gui icon or type atomsList at Scilab prompt

Best,

S.

Chin Luh Tan <[hidden email]> a écrit :

from my end:

1. The warning for the 10.15 gone.

Thanks for the great effort. Is is possible to share the compilation steps?

---- On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 22:40:20 +0800 <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Did you test the Atoms stuff ?

Heinz Nabielek <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On 04.11.2019, at 14:55, [hidden email] wrote:

CL, Heinz, Willi can you test it ?

Works to perfection and without this funny warning.

Thanks. Very helpful. Great suggestion. I would not have thought of it…..

Thanks for your dedication to this work.Heinz

mottelet mottelet

Le 05/11/2019 à 08:18, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :

Great analysis !

Le 5 nov. 2019 à 07:16, Chin Luh Tan [hidden email] a écrit :

The packaging rules do not impose that the package root dir has the name "module_name". For example latest scicv has root dir "scicv-0.4".

If the zip or tar.gz contains more than one directory (by accident, or else) then it can break atomsExtract, on every platform. The atomsInstall process should end when such an incoherence is detected.

In the meantime (before the proposed above fix), to avoid repackaging all OSX zip packages it would be simpler to use the -x flag of unzip, e.g. like this

unzip IPCV-4.1-MacOS-bin.zip -x __MACOSX/*

elseif regexp(archive_in,"/\.zip$/","o") <> [] then

if getos() == "Windows" then
            extract_cmd = """" + getshortpathname(pathconvert(SCI+"/tools/zip/unzip.exe",%F)) + """";
        else
            extract_cmd = "unzip";
        end

extract_cmd = extract_cmd + " -q -o """ + archive_in + """ -d """ + pathconvert(dir_out,%F) +"""";

if getos() == "Darwin"
            extract_cmd = extract_cmd + " -x __MACOSX/*"

[rep,stat,err] = unix_g(extract_cmd);

atomsExtract.sci

// Get the list of directories after the extraction
    // =========================================================================

dirs_after = atomsListDir(dir_out);

dirs_after(dirs_after=='__MACOSX') = [];   // <-- extra line proposed to add

// Get the name of the created directory
    // =========================================================================

dir_created = [];

for j=1:size(dirs_after,"*")
        if find(dirs_after(j) == dirs_before) == [] then
            dir_created = dirs_after(j);
            break;
    end

This shall solve the issue of module installation problem under MACOS.

Thanks.

---- On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 01:06:37 +0800 [hidden email] wrote ----

In the past I solved a problem with the LANG variable

S.

Chin Luh Tan <[hidden email]> a écrit :

ok, i did:

3. Re-download the link
4. Double click and install (by dragging the scilab icon to application folder)
5. run scilab from the app and type atomsList

Same regexp error until i launch it from terminal, and then it is ok.

p/s: will continue any extra testing tomorrow.

---- On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 00:24:53 +0800 <[hidden email]> wrote ----

[hidden email] a écrit :

I don't have the regexp error. Here is my complete workflow:

1 - Delete the eventual previous Sciab 6.0.2 I had in the /Applications/ folder
2 - Delete my .Scilab folder
5 - click the ATOMS gui icon or type atomsList at Scilab prompt

Best,

S.

Chin Luh Tan <[hidden email]> a écrit :

from my end:

1. The warning for the 10.15 gone.

Thanks for the great effort. Is is possible to share the compilation steps?

---- On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 22:40:20 +0800 <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Did you test the Atoms stuff ?

Heinz Nabielek <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On 04.11.2019, at 14:55, [hidden email] wrote:

CL, Heinz, Willi can you test it ?

Works to perfection and without this funny warning.

Thanks. Very helpful. Great suggestion. I would not have thought of it…..

Thanks for your dedication to this work.Heinz

Stéphane Mottelet
Ingénieur de recherche
EA 4297 Transformations Intégrées de la Matière Renouvelable
Département Génie des Procédés Industriels
Sorbonne Universités - Université de Technologie de Compiègne
CS 60319, 60203 Compiègne cedex
Tel : +33(0)344234688

Chin Luh Tan Chin Luh Tan

I totally agreed to use -x instead to exclude the folder, this will also eliminate the extra unnecessary folder. Thanks for the better fix.

As for the extra folder case, it could be very tricky as there are many possibilities of the dev packaging an module,  it could make the packaging flexible,  but also lacking of standardization?

Just my thought

Rgds,

---- On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 17:52:42 +0800 [hidden email] wrote ----

Le 05/11/2019 à 08:18, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :

Great analysis !

Le 5 nov. 2019 à 07:16, Chin Luh Tan [hidden email] a écrit :

unzip IPCV-4.1-MacOS-bin.zip -x __MACOSX/*

elseif regexp(archive_in,"/\.zip$/","o") <> [] then

if getos() == "Windows" then
        else
            extract_cmd = "unzip";

if getos() == "Darwin"
            extract_cmd = extract_cmd + " -x __MACOSX/*"

[rep,stat,err] = unix_g(extract_cmd);

atomsExtract.sci

// Get the list of directories after the extraction
    // =========================================================================

dirs_after = atomsListDir(dir_out);

dirs_after(dirs_after=='__MACOSX') = [];   // <-- extra line proposed to add

// Get the name of the created directory
    // =========================================================================

dir_created = [];

for j=1:size(dirs_after,"*")
        if find(dirs_after(j) == dirs_before) == [] then
            dir_created = dirs_after(j);
            break;
    end

This shall solve the issue of module installation problem under MACOS.

Thanks.

---- On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 01:06:37 +0800 [hidden email] wrote ----

In the past I solved a problem with the LANG variable

S.

Chin Luh Tan <[hidden email]> a écrit :

ok, i did:

3. Re-download the link
4. Double click and install (by dragging the scilab icon to application folder)
5. run scilab from the app and type atomsList

Same regexp error until i launch it from terminal, and then it is ok.

p/s: will continue any extra testing tomorrow.

---- On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 00:24:53 +0800 <[hidden email]> wrote ----

[hidden email] a écrit :

I don't have the regexp error. Here is my complete workflow:

1 - Delete the eventual previous Sciab 6.0.2 I had in the /Applications/ folder
2 - Delete my .Scilab folder
5 - click the ATOMS gui icon or type atomsList at Scilab prompt

Best,

S.

Chin Luh Tan <[hidden email]> a écrit :

from my end:

1. The warning for the 10.15 gone.

Thanks for the great effort. Is is possible to share the compilation steps?

---- On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 22:40:20 +0800 <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Did you test the Atoms stuff ?

Heinz Nabielek <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On 04.11.2019, at 14:55, [hidden email] wrote:

CL, Heinz, Willi can you test it ?

Works to perfection and without this funny warning.

Thanks. Very helpful. Great suggestion. I would not have thought of it…..

Thanks for your dedication to this work.Heinz

Stéphane Mottelet
Ingénieur de recherche
EA 4297 Transformations Intégrées de la Matière Renouvelable
Département Génie des Procédés Industriels
Sorbonne Universités - Université de Technologie de Compiègne
CS 60319, 60203 Compiègne cedex
Tel : +33(0)344234688

knobs knobs

In reply to this post by mottelet

Great detective work. Thank you!

Sorry, I have been too busy to try out the new beta version (S.‘s dmg).

Will do this soon, probably on the weekend.

W.

Sent from: http://mailinglists.scilab.org/Scilab-users-Mailing-Lists-Archives-f2602246.html
knobs knobs

This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by mottelet

I installed the Scilab from the new dmg:

=========
--> [version, opts] = getversion()
 opts  =

!GCC  x64  modelicac  release  Aug 19 2019  11:47:50  !

version  =

scilab-6.0.2
=========

When running Atoms from the menu it still would not start nor populate the atoms-list.

Running from terminal, this allows to run atomsList from command line but not from the menu. In fact the menu does not react to the mouse at all.

atomsInstall works from the command line, though. I installed celestlab.

Edited the atomsExtract.sci as described above, but I guess the sci has to be re-compiled, correct?

Anyway, I restarted scilab app by clicking on the app icon, and now I could start the atoms GUI from the menu.

IPCV still shows the sub-directory issues. I fixed this again manually by moving files and sub-dirs around.

Then I tried to install another module ("Neural Networks ..."). Again the regexp issue:

=======
Startup execution:
  loading initial environment

Start CelestLab => Version 3.3.1

Start IPCV 4.1 for Scilab 6.0
Image Processing and Computer Vision Toolbox for Scilab
2019 - Bytecode Malaysia
        Load macros
        Load dependencies

Pre-Compiled OpenCV lib used
        Load gateways
        Load help
        Load demos

at line     5 of function processHTMLLinks ( /Applications/scilab-6.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/share/scilab/modules/atoms/macros/atoms_gui/cbAtomsGui.sci line 427 )
at line   113 of function updateDescFrame  ( /Applications/scilab-6.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/share/scilab/modules/atoms/macros/atoms_gui/cbAtomsGui.sci line 286 )
at line    22 of function cbAtomsGui       (
/Applications/scilab-6.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/share/scilab/modules/atoms/macros/atoms_gui/cbAtomsGui.sci line 36 )

regexp: Unknown error.
=======

So... no apparent change on my machine to the previous version (official stable release) of Scilab 6.0.2.. Sorry.

W.