[Scilab-users] mesh2d - finding identical points

der_Phil der_Phil

[Scilab-users] mesh2d - finding identical points

Dear all,

using the mesh2d - function I get an error:     mesh2di: some points are identical.

How to identify these points and remove the duplicates?

There are roughly 500'000 coordinates....

Thank you,
Philipp

paul francedixhuit paul francedixhuit

Dang Ngoc Chan, Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan, Christophe

Re: {EXT} mesh2d - finding identical points

> De : users <[hidden email]> De la part de P M Envoyé :
> vendredi 20 novembre 2020 10:04
>
> How to identify these points and remove the duplicates?

You might try to use unique().

Maybe the following discussion can help:

regards

Mechanical Calculation Engineer

General

der_Phil der_Phil

Re: mesh2d - finding identical points

OK,
some more background:

I actually want to perform a delaunay triangulation on a set of X-Y-Z-coordinates.

I know of CGLAB, but it seems only available to Scilab 6.0.x, while I am on Scilab 6.1.0

So the nearest thing to a delaunay triangulation I found is mesh2d...
Because of the delaunay triangulation, I am not sure if the order of points may change.

About unique:

The result I get is actual of same size as the input matrix...I therefore do assume that each point is unique in the first place (which they actually should).

What does repeat are individual x, y, z coordinates, but in different combinations.
So the actual point is different.

e.g.:    x may repeat, but than the y-z-coordinates are different from point to point

Thanks,
Philipp

Le 20/11/2020 à 10:03, P M a écrit :
Dear all,

using the mesh2d - function I get an error:     mesh2di: some points are identical.

How to identify these points and remove the duplicates?

There are roughly 500'000 coordinates....

Thank you,
Philipp

Re: mesh2d - finding identical points

Hi again,

Le 20/11/2020 à 11:30, P M a écrit :
OK,
some more background:

I actually want to perform a delaunay triangulation on a set of X-Y-Z-coordinates.
I suppose you mean a triangulation of scattered X-Y-Z but you call mesh2d with X-Y only ?

I know of CGLAB, but it seems only available to Scilab 6.0.x, while I am on Scilab 6.1.0
CGLAB is based on a very old version of CGAL and thus is very hard  to maintain as is. There is a lot of work...

So the nearest thing to a delaunay triangulation I found is mesh2d...
Yeah. Suboptimal choice indeed...
Because of the delaunay triangulation, I am not sure if the order of points may change.
What do you mean ?

About unique:

The result I get is actual of same size as the input matrix...I therefore do assume that each point is unique in the first place (which they actually should).

What does repeat are individual x, y, z coordinates, but in different combinations.
So the actual point is different.

e.g.:    x may repeat, but than the y-z-coordinates are different from point to point

Could you share the data (you can send me a private message) ?

der_Phil der_Phil

Re: mesh2d - finding identical points

Am Fr., 20. Nov. 2020 um 11:47 Uhr schrieb Stéphane Mottelet <[hidden email]>:

Hi again,

Le 20/11/2020 à 11:30, P M a écrit :
OK,
some more background:

I actually want to perform a delaunay triangulation on a set of X-Y-Z-coordinates.
I suppose you mean a triangulation of scattered X-Y-Z but you call mesh2d with X-Y only ?

Yes, indeed. And there is the bug in my data.
As x-y coordinates repeat, they do have a different z in the original data.
But since I call mesh2d with x-y only there are indeed identical points.

I know of CGLAB, but it seems only available to Scilab 6.0.x, while I am on Scilab 6.1.0
CGLAB is based on a very old version of CGAL and thus is very hard  to maintain as is. There is a lot of work...

I am currently installing Scilab 6.0 to try CGLAB...

So the nearest thing to a delaunay triangulation I found is mesh2d...
Yeah. Suboptimal choice indeed...
Because of the delaunay triangulation, I am not sure if the order of points may change.
What do you mean ?

The scattered points represent a 3D surface geometry.
If the points will be resorted, I could imagine that the triangulation does not fit to the surface geometry anymore.

Le 20/11/2020 à 10:03, P M a écrit :
Dear all,

using the mesh2d - function I get an error:     mesh2di: some points are identical.

How to identify these points and remove the duplicates?

There are roughly 500'000 coordinates....

Thank you,
Philipp

der_Phil der_Phil

Re: mesh2d - finding identical points

I guess I do have such an u-v-plane.

The background of the background :

The task is to map an image onto a 3D geometry.

The image includes reference points, which correspond to known x-y-z coordinates.

So the image plane is (my guess) the u-v-plane.

BR
Philipp