[Scilab-users] non access to sci files

12
Carrico, Paul Carrico, Paul

[Scilab-users] non access to sci files

Dear All,

I know it's not possible to encrypt a Scilab .sci file so far ; I want to deny reading but I want to allow execution ...

Does somebody has a trick ?

(creating a binary file, include it in a C file, etc. ...I've don't know)

Paul

Le présent mail et ses pièces jointes sont confidentiels et destinés à la personne ou aux personnes visée(s) ci-dessus. Si vous avez reçu cet e-mail par erreur, veuillez contacter immédiatement l'expéditeur et effacer le message de votre système. Toute divulgation, copie ou distribution de cet e-mail est strictement interdite.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the email from your system. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email.

Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan

Re: non access to sci files

On 11/04/2013 11:15, Carrico, Paul wrote:
Dear All,

I know it's not possible to encrypt a Scilab .sci file so far ; I want to deny reading but I want to allow execution ...

Does somebody has a trick ?

(creating a binary file, include it in a C file, etc. ...I've don't know)

Paul
Dear Paul,

No trick will be never possible. The user can always use fun2string to display the source code of any function that Scilab can execute after reading it from a .sci file. You cannot prevent Scilab for doing so.
Scilab can be executed in a mode where it displays each line of code before executing it.
The user can also modify Scilab source code to get Scilab display whatever Scilab is allow to read. If Scilab can execute it, Scilab can display it. This is completely unavoidable.

--
Adrien Vogt-Schilb (Cired)
+33 (0) 1 43 94 73 83

Antoine Monmayrant Antoine Monmayrant

Re: non access to sci files

On 11/04/2013 16:23, Adrien Vogt-Schilb wrote:
On 11/04/2013 11:15, Carrico, Paul wrote:
Dear All,

I know it's not possible to encrypt a Scilab .sci file so far ; I want to deny reading but I want to allow execution ...

Does somebody has a trick ?

(creating a binary file, include it in a C file, etc. ...I've don't know)

Paul
Dear Paul,

No trick will be never possible. The user can always use fun2string to display the source code of any function that Scilab can execute after reading it from a .sci file. You cannot prevent Scilab for doing so.
Scilab can be executed in a mode where it displays each line of code before executing it.
The user can also modify Scilab source code to get Scilab display whatever Scilab is allow to read. If Scilab can execute it, Scilab can display it. This is completely unavoidable.

Well, it's not completely true: what you say applies to macros, not to C (or Fortran) native functions (that is, compiled and linked).
You can translate all your code to C and write the proper wrapper to use it like a native scilab function and compile it and then remove the sources.
I think this should work but I don't know if it worths the effort.

Antoine
(and if you distribute it, are you still in agreement with scilab open licence your binary blob with no source?)
--
Adrien Vogt-Schilb (Cired)
+33 (0) 1 43 94 73 83

Carrico, Paul Carrico, Paul

Re: non access to sci files

To answer to some posts (thanks for them), the goal is quite basic :
- I've a single external scilab function (.sci) that is called in scilab routine
- this file has been placed in a specific directory, but under windows, I cannot allow execution and deny reading

I do not really want to encrypt the file, just to deny the reading and to transform it into "black" box ... it's not a commercial issue ... I just want to protect my work from some years

Paul

Sylvestre Ledru-4 Sylvestre Ledru-4

Re: non access to sci files

On 11/04/2013 16:45, Antoine Monmayrant wrote:
> On 11/04/2013 16:23, Adrien Vogt-Schilb wrote:
>> On 11/04/2013 11:15, Carrico, Paul wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
> (and if you distribute it, are you still in agreement with scilab open
> licence your binary blob with no source?)
The CeCILL license (the license under which Scilab is published) does
not prevent you to do anything like this.
You are free to do whatever you want with your code running on Scilab
(as long as you are not distributing Scilab with it).

Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan

Re: non access to sci files

> it's not a commercial issue ...
> I just want to protect my work from some years

Well, depends on what you call "protect".

Publishing it is a way to protect your "paternity".

You can also write it with Matlab (and the appropriate licence),
compile it (with the appropriate Compiler licence)
and distribute the binary exe file
along with the Matlab Runtime Compiler (for free).

http://www.mathworks.com/products/compiler/index.html

A bit more expensive.

paul.carrico paul.carrico

Re: non access to sci files

> Well, depends on what you call "protect".

I mean no access to some data and information's ....

> I just want to protect my work from some years

Well, depends on what you call "protect".

Publishing it is a way to protect your "paternity".

You can also write it with Matlab (and the appropriate licence), compile it
(with the appropriate Compiler licence) and distribute the binary exe file
along with the Matlab Runtime Compiler (for free).

http://www.mathworks.com/products/compiler/index.html

A bit more expensive.

are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error),
e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Antoine Monmayrant-2 Antoine Monmayrant-2

Re: non access to sci files

Le Jeudi 11 Avril 2013 18.36 CEST, "Paul Carrico" <[hidden email]> a écrit:

> > Well, depends on what you call "protect".
>
> I mean no access to some data and information's ....

OK, in that case you have two options:

- easy but far from perfect: you go for code obfuscation so that it will be extremely difficult for someone to understand what your code is doing. It's not difficult and easy.

- more difficult but also more efficient: scilab->C+compilation. Ugly, difficult but efficient.

Antoine

Carrico, Paul Carrico, Paul

Re: non access to sci files

Hi Antoine,

>  more difficult but also more efficient: scilab->C+compilation. Ugly, difficult but efficient

If you have a look to my first post, that's what I've been thinking, but I've no idea on how to proceed i.e. how to compile a scilab file under C (or another)  environment ....

Paul

Le Jeudi 11 Avril 2013 18.36 CEST, "Paul Carrico" <[hidden email]> a écrit:

> > Well, depends on what you call "protect".
>
> I mean no access to some data and information's ....

OK, in that case you have two options:

- easy but far from perfect: you go for code obfuscation so that it will be extremely difficult for someone to understand what your code is doing. It's not difficult and easy.

- more difficult but also more efficient: scilab->C+compilation. Ugly, difficult but efficient.

Antoine

David Chèze David Chèze

Re: non access to sci files

Hi Paul,

did you already have a look at:
http://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/scilab2c
I've never used this module and i assume there are some limitations but it's worth giving a try...

David
Carrico, Paul Carrico, Paul

Re: non access to sci files

Hi

It's look promissing ... I installed it but i'm spending a lot of time in finding some docs / help file and so on ...

Where are they ?

Cheers

Paul

Mike Page Mike Page

Re: non access to sci files

Hi,

I tried Sci2C once (a while ago now), but I found it had too many
limitations.  For me the lack of support for hypermatrices was enough to
make it not usable.  There is (I think) an example of Sci2C that shows how
it works, but I don't remember where - sorry.

One other way to solve your problem is to use SendScilabJob.  This enables
you to send Scilab commands from C code to the Scilab engine.  I use this
quite a lot.  Then your Scilab code would only exist as a set of string
constants inside C and could be compiled and hidden.

I posted an example of using SendScilabJob a while back - you can search the
user group for "sendscilabjob" and you will find all the threads.

HTH,
Mike.

Carrico, Paul Carrico, Paul

Re: non access to sci files

Unfortunately after some trials, it definitively too complicated for me; I will have to open the sources to my internship student ... :-(((

Thanks all for the help/advices.

Paul

Denis Crété Denis Crété

[Scilab-users] Export vector graphics produced by Scilab 5.4.1

I am trying to transfer graphical images (produced using "plot2d", with Scilab 5.4.1 under Windows XP) to LibreOffice.
When I use the "scratchpad", nothing appears in LO Writer, neither in LO Impress, neither "as well" in Word 2007: there seem to be a problem both for the Scilab command "Copy to ScratchPad" and the Ctrl+C shortcut.
Additionally,
- Exporting the file to a vectorial format such as EPS allows to obtain the result in Word 2007, but not in LibreOffice.
- Exporting an SVG file is almost correct for FireFox, but LibreOffice Writer does not display text (font compatibility?).
- Trying to export an EMF format, I get an error message requesting to install Ghostscript first. So I did, although I tried to visit the URL indicated in the error message: the page www.ghostscript.com/awki does not exist !-( On www.ghostscript.com the Welcome page begins with "Welcome to Ghostscript, an interpreter for the PostScript language and for PDF." = I still don't see the relation with EMF generation... but even installation of GS, the error message of Scilab is always asking for installation of GS...
- EPS is recognized by Word 2007; but my first attempt with LibreOffice failed.
I hope my report is correct.
Thank you in advance for any help,
Denis

Denis Crété
Adrien Vogt-Schilb Adrien Vogt-Schilb

[Scilab-users] Export vector graphics produced by Scilab 5.4.1

Hi

The "copy to clipboard" function is now known to be broken in sci 5.4: http://bugzilla.scilab.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11648

For the other problem, do you know if the path to ghosscript is included in your environment variable PATH ?
if you have no idea what this means, try the following two lines in Scilab:

 unix_g("path")
strindex(unix_g("path"),"gs")

and report here the answer

regards

David Chèze David Chèze

Re: [Scilab-users] Export vector graphics produced by Scilab 5.4.1

Hi Denis,

personnaly (WIN7-32bits scilab5.4.1final) I ever use png export feature for graphic, I can set the resolution and then i don't really need any scalable property when writing report (I rather use the insert picture from file than copy/paste) or similar document.
I tested also pdf export and svg export which performs quite well too : import in inkscape for modification eventually but in the end I put a picture only in report.

David
Urban Simoncic Urban Simoncic

Re: non access to sci files

Isn't the easiest way to hide the code of the function by generating the
binary library using the genlib command?

Urban

On 12.4.2013 14:23, Carrico, Paul wrote:

> Unfortunately after some trials, it definitively too complicated for me; I will have to open the sources to my internship student ... :-(((
>
> Thanks all for the help/advices.
>
> Paul

Denis Crété Denis Crété

Re: Export vector graphics produced by Scilab 5.4.1

Thank you for your help !

However, I included in AUTOEXEC.BAT the DOS command SET PATH=%PATH%; <gswin32.exe_Path>

Then I restarted my computer, and checked with the DOS command ECHO %PATH% and the additional path is appended.

But the error message for EMF export is the same: it asks again to install Ghostscript.

Best regards

Denis

For the other problem, do you know if the path to ghosscript is included in your environment variable PATH ?
if you have no idea what this means, try the following two lines in Scilab:

 unix_g("path")
strindex(unix_g("path"),"gs")

and report here the answer

regards

[Scilab-users] Export vector graphics produced by Scilab 5.4.1

Fri, 12 Apr 2013 14:29:21 +0200

CRETE Denis [hidden email]

International users mailing list for Scilab. [hidden email]

International users mailing list for Scilab. [hidden email]

Hello,

Denis Crété
Adrien Vogt-Schilb Adrien Vogt-Schilb

Re: Export vector graphics produced by Scilab 5.4.1

Hi

sorry it didn't work (i have to admit i was not certain that would work)

According to  http://bugzilla.scilab.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11853#c3 you also need to install pstoedit

I would install pstoedit, also add it to the PATH.

If from there it still does not work, I would follow the advice provided by http://bugzilla.scilab.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11853#c3 and copy paste the appropriate dlls from gs and pstoedit in the scilab folder

If you may, report here whether adding gs and pstoedit bin directory to the PATH was sufficient, or if you had to copy/paste the binaries as suggested by http://bugzilla.scilab.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11853#c3