[Scilab-users] parallel_run

Mohamed Ikbal Mohamed Ikbal

[Scilab-users] parallel_run

Hello Sir\M’m

I am trying to execute parallel_run method but even with I have tried by copy pasting the example in the forum

function a=g(arg1)

  a=arg1*arg1

endfunction

res = parallel_run(1:10, g);

but I have the following error: “ Undefined variable: parallel_run”

Thanks in advance.

Carrico, Paul Carrico, Paul

Re: parallel_run

Hi

I do not know if it’s still the case, but some time ago, parallel runs were only available under Linux and not under Windows

Paul

EXPORT CONTROL :
Cet email ne contient pas de données techniques
This email does not contain technical data

Arvid Rosén Arvid Rosén

Re: parallel_run

parallel_run has also been broken on macOS for ages unfortunately. I don’t think it was removed though.

Cheers,

Arvid

Mohamed Ikbal Mohamed Ikbal

Re: parallel_run

Hello Again,

In that case what should I do  I want to run code paralley because I have a very big file ?

parallel_run has also been broken on macOS for ages unfortunately. I don’t think it was removed though.

Cheers,

Arvid

Carrico, Paul Carrico, Paul

Re: parallel_run

What do you want to do exactly ?

EXPORT CONTROL :
Cet email ne contient pas de données techniques
This email does not contain technical data

In that case what should I do  I want to run code paralley because I have a very big file ?

parallel_run has also been broken on macOS for ages unfortunately. I don’t think it was removed though.

Cheers,

Arvid

Re: parallel_run

Use Scilab 5.5.2 under Linux.

S.

Le 30 oct. 2018 à 10:44, FIXED-TERM Nacer Mohamed Ikbal (ETAS/ESY) <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hello Again,

In that case what should I do  I want to run code paralley because I have a very big file ?

parallel_run has also been broken on macOS for ages unfortunately. I don’t think it was removed though.

Cheers,

Arvid

Mohamed Ikbal Mohamed Ikbal

Re: parallel_run

I think the fact that there is no Multi-Threading system within scilab framework is a big drawback.

Le 30 oct. 2018 à 10:44, FIXED-TERM Nacer Mohamed Ikbal (ETAS/ESY) <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hello Again,

In that case what should I do  I want to run code paralley because I have a very big file ?

parallel_run has also been broken on macOS for ages unfortunately. I don’t think it was removed though.

Cheers,

Arvid

Carrico, Paul Carrico, Paul

Re: parallel_run

Scilab is not probably the best tool to deal with big files (except maybe csv ones – but without addition information’s from your side); for your study, I suggest you to have a look to python …

EXPORT CONTROL :
Cet email ne contient pas de données techniques
This email does not contain technical data

I think the fact that there is no Multi-Threading system within scilab framework is a big drawback.

Le 30 oct. 2018 à 10:44, FIXED-TERM Nacer Mohamed Ikbal (ETAS/ESY) <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hello Again,

In that case what should I do  I want to run code paralley because I have a very big file ?

parallel_run has also been broken on macOS for ages unfortunately. I don’t think it was removed though.

Cheers,

Arvid

Arvid Rosén Arvid Rosén

Re: parallel_run

I agree. This is a huge drawback, and not only for reading files. We have a smp implementation (for Scilab) written in C that use forking and intermediate files to overcome this, but it only works in Scilab 5 when running headless. This really limits the usefulness of the software I think, as modern servers typically have lots of cores.

Cheers,

Arvid