[Scilab-users] xmltopdf() broken : workaround ?

[Scilab-users] xmltopdf() broken : workaround ?

Hello,

xmltopdf() aims to build a PDF version of help pages of a module.
The PDF is browsable (internal links between pages), and the rendering is similar as for the embedded pages.

Getting such a PDF is very convenient for instance to put it on the ATOMS page of the module, to provide a way to easily see help pages before installing a module (to see if the module is suitable to a need).

Unfortunately, xmltopdf() is broken for 4 years now.

Does anyone know an external (free) tool to convert a set of inter-hyperlinked HTML pages into a browsable PDF?

At first glance, i have not found any relevant tool.
Many tools are able to convert pages, but without internal links. Such a passive PDF can be built also by converting each page independently, and then merge them into a single PDF (in the right order ;).

Thanks for any hints and references

Re: xmltopdf() broken : workaround ?

An external tool converting the jar help file into a PDF version would also be convenient.

Each jar file generated by Scilab's documentation compiler for each language version of the help
already includes all useful components (CSS styles, .toc = structure of the chapter, etc).

Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan

Re: xmltopdf() broken : workaround ?

You might try HTML to LaTeX

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/comp/unix/package/tex/guides/wp-conv/html2tex/htmltools.html

then TeX4ht

www.tug.org/tex4ht

hopping the double-translation won't give the same result as :

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGnYtw5ezZI-BnVCUhMOcBqi9KggS1fhD

Rafael Guerra Rafael Guerra

Re: xmltopdf() broken : workaround ?

Have you tried opening the HTML in MS Word and saving as PDF?

Le 02/08/2018 à 15:45, Rafael Guerra a écrit :
> Have you tried opening the HTML in MS Word and saving as PDF?

The issue is not to convert some independent pages, but to convert a
whole tree with its internal links (i mean: links pointing to other
members of the tree).

Rafael Guerra Rafael Guerra

Re: xmltopdf() broken : workaround ?

Ok, it seems that Calibre does that:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conversion.html
https://calibre-ebook.com/about

Regards,
Rafael

Le 02/08/2018 à 16:17, Rafael Guerra a écrit :
> Ok, it seems that Calibre does that:
> https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conversion.html
> https://calibre-ebook.com/about

It looks very interesting, and smart. I will try it. Thanks!

Re: xmltopdf() broken : workaround ?

Le 02/08/2018 à 16:17, Rafael Guerra a écrit :
> Ok, it seems that Calibre does that:
> https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conversion.html
> https://calibre-ebook.com/about

I confirm that it does the job! But it must be helped ;)  In addition to
entering into the software and its configuration, then putting the pages
in the right order needs a bit some hacking.
But finally (after ~3 hours, for the first time, vs 1 mn when xmltopdf()
worked), it works.
Here is the output:
https://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/DD_QD/1.0/files/DD_QD_MuPAT_1.0_user_guide.pdf

Thanks again for this excellent reference.

Rafael Guerra Rafael Guerra

Re: xmltopdf() broken : workaround ?

Glad to hear and the result looks quite good with all hyperlinks working fine.
Maybe you could add some footer info (ex: page number, document name, Scilab version, etc.)

PS:
This was a "high-Calibre" reference :)