Summary of issues (and solutions) that occured while packaging Scilab for conda
I figured it may be useful to make a summary of the issues that I encountered as I made a conda package for Scilab. The information already exists in a couple of other threads but is scattered accross many messages. Hopefully, the core team will be able to resolve some of these for the next version of scilab.
1) Only scilab-cli was included in the conda package, and not the graphical interface.
The reason is that scilab does not build with openjdk 11, and requires an older version that has not been packaged for conda.
2) scilab does not build on OS X when using the --without-matio option.
The build ends with the following error:
ar: no archive members specified usage: ar -d [-TLsv] archive file ... ar -m [-TLsv] archive file ... ar -m [-abiTLsv] position archive file ... ar -p [-TLsv] archive [file ...] ar -q [-cTLsv] archive file ... ar -r [-cuTLsv] archive file ... ar -r [-abciuTLsv] position archive file ... ar -t [-TLsv] archive [file ...] ar -x [-ouTLsv] archive [file ...] make: *** [libscimatio-algo.la] Error 1
Fortunately, we were able to package matio for conda-forge as well, so this error does not impact us anymore. However, I do think that we should be able to use that option.
3) We cannot build headless scilab on OS X
It seems that we cannot build scilab with the --without-gui option on OS X. The build fails over the symbol _initMacOSXEnv not being found.
Stephane Mottelet proposed to apply a patch to the generated makefile after the configure stage to overcome that issue.