Quantcast

Trying to update help_from_sci

Pierre Vuillemin Pierre Vuillemin

Trying to update help_from_sci

Hi all,

I am currently trying to update the routine "help_from_sci" so that it
works both with head comments written with // and with /* ... */.

I was wondering if there was a (quick) way to display the resulting xml
file with the Scilab style to check whether the xml that has been built
is right?

Regards,

Pierre

Re: Trying to update help_from_sci

Hello Pierre,

Currently the easiest way is to put the resulting xml file as an exemple of an empty toolbox and
build/load this toolbox to check for the rendering.

HTML files can also be used as an easy content to check using a standard web browser (eg. without

AFAIK Samuel usually commit updated help files using the pdf format produced by xmltopdf(). As this
PDF backend is not the main one, I tend to prefer the HTML ones but PDF might be a good alternative.

Le vendredi 05 mai 2017 à 15:59 +0200, Pierre Vuillemin a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I am currently trying to update the routine "help_from_sci" so that it
> works both with head comments written with // and with /* ... */.
>
> I was wondering if there was a (quick) way to display the resulting xml
> file with the Scilab style to check whether the xml that has been built
> is right?
>
> Regards,
>
> Pierre

Re: Trying to update help_from_sci

Hello,

>De: "Clément David"
>
>Hello Pierre,
>
>Currently the easiest way is to put the resulting xml file as an exemple of an empty toolbox and
>build/load this toolbox to check for the rendering.
>
>HTML files can also be used as an easy content to check using a standard web browser (eg. without
>
>AFAIK Samuel usually commit updated help files using the pdf format produced by xmltopdf(). As this
>PDF backend is not the main one, I tend to prefer the HTML ones but PDF might be a good alternative.

AFAIRemember, xmltopdf() has some issue, so i use now PDF Creator applied the HTML.
To illustrate the whole page setting and rendering, PDF does not need to be zipped,
whereas HTML needs it to include css dependencies etc.

Anyway, the rendering of the HTML (zipped in the .jar) through the Scilab helpbrowser
is limited wrt the true HTML as it appears in web browsers: Many attributes or style
values are well built but are not rendered... But this is another thread.

Pierre Vuillemin Pierre Vuillemin

Re: Trying to update help_from_sci

Thanks for the answers and the hints, I have finally managed to do what I wanted using xmltojar and add_help_chapter.

The xml file generated with help_from_sci seems to have some quirk, is there a reference page concerning the xml that should be produced? The main reference I have found is this page but I don't know if it is still up to date.

Besides, I am thinking about extending the features of the routine so that is supports some flavour of markdown (or similar stuff like Matlab's publishing features).
Has there already been some reflection in that direction?

Regards,

Pierre

Hello,

Re: Trying to update help_from_sci

Hello Pierre,

Great news ! The help_from_sci() feature is currently really useful for new comers and improving it
might be a good idea.

The XML syntax used is a subset of Docbook 5 ; the man help page contains some information but I
usually use the main Docbook documentation.

About Markdown support, it might be a good idea to support it ; currently the syntax is similar but
not standardized.