Update of the online documentation

Hello guys,

Calixte (on the technical side) and I (on the complain side) have been
working on a rebuild of the documentation system of Scilab.

First, Calixte decreased the build time from 30 minutes (even 60 on some
configurations) to about 25 seconds. Even if it is not really important
to the normal user, this will help us in improving the documentation (it
was very frustrating to have to wait some long).

We took the time to redesign the online guide.
Here is a draft:
http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/index.html

Some examples:
http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/zeros.html
http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/datatipRemove.html

We would like your feedback on this.

Please note some elements:
* we will add a component to switch between the various localization
(lang) of the same page.
* we will the possibility for a user to comment
* we will probably add a link "report a bug" from a page to encourage
user to contribute by reporting bugs

* we will to make available various Scilab versions documentations.

The embedded Scilab document has been also improved in the same way
(with some minor differences due to interface):
* In the embedded page in Scilab, we will have a "path" element which
will display:
Scilab :: Graphics Library :: datatips :: datatipRemove with a link on
each elements .

Thanks,
Calixte & Sylvestre

PS: The inspiration of this development comes from the excellent PHP
documentation.
Example: http://fr2.php.net/str_replace

Calixte Denizet-2 Calixte Denizet-2

Re: Update of the online documentation

j'ai trouve d'ou vient le bug avec la barre horizontal du bas...

Ca vient de moi qui mets un div qui s'autoclose ce qui n'est apparemment
pas valide...

template est bon...

Le mardi 19 octobre 2010 à 18:14 +0200, Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :

> Hello guys,
>
> Calixte (on the technical side) and I (on the complain side) have been
> working on a rebuild of the documentation system of Scilab.
>
> First, Calixte decreased the build time from 30 minutes (even 60 on some
> configurations) to about 25 seconds. Even if it is not really important
> to the normal user, this will help us in improving the documentation (it
> was very frustrating to have to wait some long).
>
> We took the time to redesign the online guide.
> Here is a draft:
> http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/index.html
>
> Some examples:
> http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/zeros.html
> http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/datatipRemove.html
>
> We would like your feedback on this.
>
> Please note some elements:
> * we will add a component to switch between the various localization
> (lang) of the same page.
> * we will the possibility for a user to comment
> * we will probably add a link "report a bug" from a page to encourage
> user to contribute by reporting bugs
>
> * we will to make available various Scilab versions documentations.
>
> The embedded Scilab document has been also improved in the same way
> (with some minor differences due to interface):
> * In the embedded page in Scilab, we will have a "path" element which
> will display:
> Scilab :: Graphics Library :: datatips :: datatipRemove with a link on
> each elements .
>

> Thanks,
> Calixte & Sylvestre
>
> PS: The inspiration of this development comes from the excellent PHP
> documentation.
> Example: http://fr2.php.net/str_replace

Calixte Denizet-2 Calixte Denizet-2

Re: Update of the online documentation

Sorry for this message, I made a confusion in replying...

Le mardi 19 octobre 2010 à 19:05 +0200, Calixte Denizet a écrit :

> j'ai trouve d'ou vient le bug avec la barre horizontal du bas...
>
> Ca vient de moi qui mets un div qui s'autoclose ce qui n'est apparemment
> pas valide...

> template est bon...
>
> Le mardi 19 octobre 2010 à 18:14 +0200, Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :
> > Hello guys,
> >
> > Calixte (on the technical side) and I (on the complain side) have been
> > working on a rebuild of the documentation system of Scilab.
> >
> > First, Calixte decreased the build time from 30 minutes (even 60 on some
> > configurations) to about 25 seconds. Even if it is not really important
> > to the normal user, this will help us in improving the documentation (it
> > was very frustrating to have to wait some long).
> >
> > We took the time to redesign the online guide.
> > Here is a draft:
> > http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/index.html
> >
> > Some examples:
> > http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/zeros.html
> > http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/datatipRemove.html
> >
> > We would like your feedback on this.
> >
> > Please note some elements:
> > * we will add a component to switch between the various localization
> > (lang) of the same page.
> > * we will the possibility for a user to comment
> > * we will probably add a link "report a bug" from a page to encourage
> > user to contribute by reporting bugs
> >
> > * we will to make available various Scilab versions documentations.
> >
> > The embedded Scilab document has been also improved in the same way
> > (with some minor differences due to interface):
> > * In the embedded page in Scilab, we will have a "path" element which
> > will display:
> > Scilab :: Graphics Library :: datatips :: datatipRemove with a link on
> > each elements .
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Calixte & Sylvestre
> >
> > PS: The inspiration of this development comes from the excellent PHP
> > documentation.
> > Example: http://fr2.php.net/str_replace

Clément DAVID Clément DAVID

Re: Update of the online documentation

Thanks for these improvements, It will ease the documentation
improvement.

First the user comment should be managed with care to avoid
documentation vandalism. Just sending a formatted mail should be
sufficient.

Then, there is some rendering problems on:

 * http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/INTEGRAL_m.html
    passing the mouse over "Dialog box" or any text underline it !

 * http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/MATEIG.html
    Passing the mouse over the first line of the example underline it !

 *
http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/section_10261ac2c63340e6a753699961fb03f4.html
    The content height is smaller then the left menu one. This lead to a
mixed text footer (should be a CSS problem only).

--
Clément David <[hidden email]>

gareste gareste

Re: Update of the online documentation

Hello,
if this can fasten the building that much, it'll be awesome for me!
Some things that came to my mind while browsing :

-on the first page ( http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/index.html ), put on the left side the table of contents, such as the one you can see while you are on a "chapter element" (this one for exemple)

-there might be a need for a "search" item

Simon

Hello,

Le mercredi 20 octobre 2010 à 09:54 +0200, Clément David a écrit :
> Hello,

Hello Clement,

> Thanks for these improvements, It will ease the documentation
> improvement.
>
> First the user comment should be managed with care to avoid
> documentation vandalism. Just sending a formatted mail should be
> sufficient.
>
> Then, there is some rendering problems on:
>
>  * http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/INTEGRAL_m.html
>     passing the mouse over "Dialog box" or any text underline it !
>
>  * http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/MATEIG.html
>     Passing the mouse over the first line of the example underline it !

I fixed the bug on the forge:
http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/scidoc/source/commit/cb432547a66e60f1fd96561ac121e5e957e85c81/

And I fixed a bug in MATEIG.xml (link instead of xref) :
http://codereview.scilab.org/#change,2319

Calixte

>  *
> http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/section_10261ac2c63340e6a753699961fb03f4.html
>     The content height is smaller then the left menu one. This lead to a
> mixed text footer (should be a CSS problem only).
>
> > Hello guys,
> >
> > Calixte (on the technical side) and I (on the complain side) have been
> > working on a rebuild of the documentation system of Scilab.
> >
> > First, Calixte decreased the build time from 30 minutes (even 60 on some
> > configurations) to about 25 seconds. Even if it is not really important
> > to the normal user, this will help us in improving the documentation (it
> > was very frustrating to have to wait some long).
> >
> > We took the time to redesign the online guide.
> > Here is a draft:
> > http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/index.html
> >
> > Some examples:
> > http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/zeros.html
> > http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/datatipRemove.html
> >
> > We would like your feedback on this.
> >
> > Please note some elements:
> > * we will add a component to switch between the various localization
> > (lang) of the same page.
> > * we will the possibility for a user to comment
> > * we will probably add a link "report a bug" from a page to encourage
> > user to contribute by reporting bugs
> >
> > * we will to make available various Scilab versions documentations.
> >
> > The embedded Scilab document has been also improved in the same way
> > (with some minor differences due to interface):
> > * In the embedded page in Scilab, we will have a "path" element which
> > will display:
> > Scilab :: Graphics Library :: datatips :: datatipRemove with a link on
> > each elements .
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Calixte & Sylvestre
> >
> > PS: The inspiration of this development comes from the excellent PHP
> > documentation.
> > Example: http://fr2.php.net/str_replace

Re: Update of the online documentation

The rendering issues have been fixed and I updated the URL.

Sylvestre

Le mercredi 20 octobre 2010 à 09:54 +0200, Clément David a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for these improvements, It will ease the documentation
> improvement.
>
> First the user comment should be managed with care to avoid
> documentation vandalism. Just sending a formatted mail should be
> sufficient.
>
> Then, there is some rendering problems on:
>
>  * http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/INTEGRAL_m.html
>     passing the mouse over "Dialog box" or any text underline it !
>
>  * http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/MATEIG.html
>     Passing the mouse over the first line of the example underline it !
>
>  *
> http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/section_10261ac2c63340e6a753699961fb03f4.html
>     The content height is smaller then the left menu one. This lead to a
> mixed text footer (should be a CSS problem only).
>
> > Hello guys,
> >
> > Calixte (on the technical side) and I (on the complain side) have been
> > working on a rebuild of the documentation system of Scilab.
> >
> > First, Calixte decreased the build time from 30 minutes (even 60 on some
> > configurations) to about 25 seconds. Even if it is not really important
> > to the normal user, this will help us in improving the documentation (it
> > was very frustrating to have to wait some long).
> >
> > We took the time to redesign the online guide.
> > Here is a draft:
> > http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/index.html
> >
> > Some examples:
> > http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/zeros.html
> > http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/datatipRemove.html
> >
> > We would like your feedback on this.
> >
> > Please note some elements:
> > * we will add a component to switch between the various localization
> > (lang) of the same page.
> > * we will the possibility for a user to comment
> > * we will probably add a link "report a bug" from a page to encourage
> > user to contribute by reporting bugs
> >
> > * we will to make available various Scilab versions documentations.
> >
> > The embedded Scilab document has been also improved in the same way
> > (with some minor differences due to interface):
> > * In the embedded page in Scilab, we will have a "path" element which
> > will display:
> > Scilab :: Graphics Library :: datatips :: datatipRemove with a link on
> > each elements .
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Calixte & Sylvestre
> >
> > PS: The inspiration of this development comes from the excellent PHP
> > documentation.
> > Example: http://fr2.php.net/str_replace

Re: Update of the online documentation

We did some improvements:
* There is now a "top" link which leads to the "upper" page (the
category usually)
http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/datatipsRemoveAll.html
I am not 100% happy about the look and feel of this section... patches
are welcome.

* Following David & Michael comments, I started to sort some functions
into subchapters. For example, Discrete mathematics, Floating point,
Integer representation or Trigonometry on this page:
http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/section_2cbe47bdd9625e1742e4aa00d40a68e2.html
Please open new bug reports for other relevant sections.
Other examples, the Scilab keyword section:
http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/section_791d3d7b404e3abd5a433fa232cfe678.html
Note that these commits are still under review in gerrit:
http://codereview.scilab.org/

* The left bar contains the full path:
http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/factor.html
ie: Discrete mathematics => Elementary Functions => Scilab manual

Sylvestre

Le mardi 19 octobre 2010 à 18:14 +0200, Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :

> Hello guys,
>
> Calixte (on the technical side) and I (on the complain side) have been
> working on a rebuild of the documentation system of Scilab.
>
> First, Calixte decreased the build time from 30 minutes (even 60 on some
> configurations) to about 25 seconds. Even if it is not really important
> to the normal user, this will help us in improving the documentation (it
> was very frustrating to have to wait some long).
>
> We took the time to redesign the online guide.
> Here is a draft:
> http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/index.html
>
> Some examples:
> http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/zeros.html
> http://www.scilab.org/team/sylvestre.ledru/scidoc/datatipRemove.html
>
> We would like your feedback on this.
>
> Please note some elements:
> * we will add a component to switch between the various localization
> (lang) of the same page.
> * we will the possibility for a user to comment
> * we will probably add a link "report a bug" from a page to encourage
> user to contribute by reporting bugs
>
> * we will to make available various Scilab versions documentations.
>
> The embedded Scilab document has been also improved in the same way
> (with some minor differences due to interface):
> * In the embedded page in Scilab, we will have a "path" element which
> will display:
> Scilab :: Graphics Library :: datatips :: datatipRemove with a link on
> each elements .
>

> Thanks,
> Calixte & Sylvestre
>
> PS: The inspiration of this development comes from the excellent PHP
> documentation.
> Example: http://fr2.php.net/str_replace

<xref>: non-standard scilab implementation for the documentation <= Re: Update of the online documentation

Le 20/10/2010 10:52, Calixte Denizet a écrit :
.../..

I fixed the bug on the forge:
http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/scidoc/source/commit/cb432547a66e60f1fd96561ac121e5e957e85c81/

And I fixed a bug in MATEIG.xml (link instead of xref) :
http://codereview.scilab.org/#change,2319

I fought more than 1 hour, trying to use the <xref> docbook tag to build a Table of Contents with local cross-references (in a long page), and i failed.
I have finally found this message, and going to the codereview, i discovered that the Scilab implementation of the <xref> docbook tag is not standard. This is why i lost my time.

<xref linkend="targetted_id">
<term id="targetted_id" xreflabel="The option wb">Option wb</term>

Another standard way to use <xref> would be:
<xref linkend="targetted_id" endterm="targetted_id">
<term id="targetted_id">Option wb</term>

But the Scilab doc compiler does nor do that.

So, just to remember: just use <xref> like the <link> tag, with providing a reference that is internal to the page, instead of the reference to an external page :
<xref linkend="blabla">Option wb</xref>
<term id="blabla">"wb"</term>

will show a link Option wb that when ones click on it will go to the section of the page where the term <term id="blabla">"wb"</term> appears.
That's all.

HTH
Samuel Gougeon

Re: <xref>: non-standard scilab implementation for the documentation <= Re: Update of the online documentation

Hi Samuel,

Le mardi 23 février 2016 à 21:19 +0100, Samuel Gougeon a écrit :

> So, just to remember: just use <xref> like the <link> tag, with providing a reference that is
> internal to the page, instead of the reference to an external page :
> <xref linkend="blabla">Option wb</xref>
> <term id="blabla">"wb"</term>
>
> will show a link Option wb that when ones click on it will go to the section of the page where the
> term <term id="blabla">"wb"</term> appears.
> That's all.

Yep I confirm th is behavior and posted [bug #14444]. This feature will alos let us improve
the current documentation by using this feature on all pages that cross-reference related features
(eg. almost every page through the "See also" section).

[bug #14444]: http://bugzilla.scilab.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14444

Doc: <link> and <xref> considerations. Missing resolved page_id#item_id addresses

Hi Clément,

Le 04/03/2016 12:48, Clément David a écrit :
Hi Samuel,

Le mardi 23 février 2016 à 21:19 +0100, Samuel Gougeon a écrit :

So, just to remember: just use <xref> like the <link> tag, with providing a reference that is
internal to the page, instead of the reference to an external page :
<xref linkend="blabla">Option wb</xref>
<term id="blabla">"wb"</term>

will show a link Option wb that when ones click on it will go to the section of the page where the
term <term id="blabla">"wb"</term> appears.
That's all.
Yep I confirm this behavior and posted [bug #14444]. This feature will alos let us improve
the current documentation by using this feature on all pages that cross-reference related features
(eg. almost every page through the "See also" section).

[bug #14444]: http://bugzilla.scilab.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14444

Humm, i am not sure to understand what you mean about the expected behavior / purpose of the <xref> tag.

By the way, i am nor sure to clearly understand differences between <xref> and <link>, and the initial answer
from Calixte at the beginning of this thread does not clarifies them. Even this is not clear in the Docbook user manual.

The <link > tag may as well have an endterm attribute, getting in the target the content to be displayed as the link, turning the tag as an autoclosed one:
<link linkend="id_of_target" endterm="id_of_target_having_the_content_to_be_displayed_in_the_link"/>

So, the only difference that i can see -- according to Docbook -- is that <xref> is always an autoclosed tag

So, my first question is: Do you intend to make <link> and <xref> different? And if yes, in which aspect?

I was initially looking for a way to target a section of a page, rather than the page (its top) itself.
I tried the html syntax with an id in the target and #id in the link, but this does not work.
Then i found this <xref> tag, and its non-standard implementation equal to the standard <link> one.

Further tests show that, with the current implementation, if in a "See also" section or wherever else
  • a) "the_id" is an xml:id of a page,  OR
  • b) "the_id" is the id of an element of the same page,  OR
  • c) "the_id" is the id of an element of another page,
then the top of the page (a), or the element of the same or other page (b) and c))
are already well targeted, in the helpbrowser as well as in HTML files.

Hence, i do not see anything specific to <xref> that should be implemented about cross-referencing.

The problems that i see are the following:
  • the xml:id of a page and ids in pages are equally considered. This may set some "unresolved"
    conflicts between ids. It would be better to have two distinct levels of targeting, as in HTML,
    i.e. to be able to use a 2-level address id_page#id_element for linkend/href values.

  • In the "See also" section or in any other part of a page of an external module,
    <link> succeeds linking to a Scilab page in the help browser, but fails to link to the
    online HTML Scilab page in its HTML version. This is already reported, and should
    be quite easy to fix, since some Scilab online pages exist and can be targeted.

  • In the "See also" section of an external module, <link> pointing to Scilab pages are
    not followed by short descriptions of the related pages. This is another reported bug.

So, my last questions are :

  • Do you intend to implement resolved addresses such as page_id#item_id ?

  • Do you intend to implement the endterm attribute for <link> ?

  • Don't you think that the <xref> tag is useless and should be removed ?