algebra conventions with integer types to be discussed

algebra conventions with integer types to be discussed

Hello all,

Integer types in Scilab are not smoothly implemented and there are still
some bugs and real questions to be discussed, specifically on
over/underflow, exceptions in divisions such as in

int8(1)/int8(0)

int8(-128)/int8(-1)

type of the result of mixed double/integer operations, such as

int8(1) + %pi

int8(1)/0.0

and so on. Other software related to Scilab, e.g. Matlab and Julia, have
different conventions and currently Scilab currently adopts a mix of
them, which does not help to make one's mind.

Integers types were a long-waited feature by people who needed it, so I
would like to have some  developpers and user testimonies about the way
they do algebra with them.

Thanks in adavance,

Re: [Scilab-users] algebra conventions with integer types to be discussed

Le 14/09/2018 à 18:20, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :

> Hello all,
>
> Integer types in Scilab are not smoothly implemented and there are
> still some bugs and real questions to be discussed, specifically on
> over/underflow, exceptions in divisions such as in
>
> int8(1)/int8(0)
>
> int8(-128)/int8(-1)
>
> type of the result of mixed double/integer operations, such as
>
> int8(1) + %pi
>
> int8(1)/0.0
>
> and so on. Other software related to Scilab, e.g. Matlab and Julia,
> have different conventions and currently Scilab currently adopts a mix
> of them, which does not help to make one's mind.
>
> Integers types were a long-waited feature by people who needed it, so
> I would like to have some  developpers and user testimonies about the
> way they do algebra with them.
>
> Thanks in adavance,
>
> S.

Hello all,

Do I have to conclude that the implementation is currently so incoherent
that *nobody* uses integer types in Scilab (other than Scilab code itself) ?