graphics API help

Ricardo Fabbri-2 Ricardo Fabbri-2

graphics API help

Hi, Scilab dev team,

I would like to start contributing / participating in the "graphics" branch to help in the rendering engine for Scilab.
As you might already know , I am the author of the SIP toolbox which originated SIVP as well. I have been involved with Scilab around 10 years.

I am very happy to be resuming my Scilab activities after a long (but necessary) time with Matlab during my PhD. With that, I bring many fresh ideas on where the Scientific community requirements are for the graphics features. I saw some demos videos in Scilab's youtube channel and some features really look great.

I would like to start with the basics. How do the people involved in this branch communicate (both internal and external developers)? I don't see frequent emails in this list, and many are just SEPs. I guess getting involved in discussions would be a nice way to start learning - to see what the developers are talking about.
Do you have both internal and external discussion lists (which is normal) ? To help out would I be subscribed to both?

Well, I'm glad to be back to using Scilab routinely.
Best regards,
Ricardo
--
Linux registered user #175401
www.lems.brown.edu/~rfabbri

Re: graphics engine development (was: graphics API help)

Le samedi 15 octobre 2011 à 16:43 -0300, Ricardo Fabbri a écrit :

> Hi, Scilab dev team,
>

> I would like to start contributing / participating in the "graphics"
> branch to help in the rendering engine for Scilab.
> As you might already know , I am the author of the SIP toolbox which
> originated SIVP as well. I have been involved with Scilab around 10
> years.
>

> I am very happy to be resuming my Scilab activities after a long (but
> necessary) time with Matlab during my PhD. With that, I bring many
> fresh ideas on where the Scientific community requirements are for the
> graphics features.
Glad to know that!

> I saw some demos videos in Scilab's youtube channel and some features
> really look great.
Thanks and more is coming ;)

> I would like to start with the basics. How do the people involved in
> this branch communicate (both internal and external developers)? I
> don't see frequent emails in this list, and many are just SEPs. I
> guess getting involved in discussions would be a nice way to start
> learning - to see what the developers are talking about.
> Do you have both internal and external discussion lists (which is
> normal) ? To help out would I be subscribed to both?
Good question!
The thing is that most of the developers are located at the same place.
Most of the discussions are taking place in real life. Once we are happy
about a subject, we publish a SEP. They all are open for discussions.
We are also open to discussions on this mailing list.
A lot of discussions are also happening in the bug reports.

There is also a git mailing list which is used to announce freezes to
people who have a write access into the source code (it is a low traffic
mailing list).

What you would be interested to contribute in ?

Thanks for your interest!
Sylvestre

Ricardo Fabbri-2 Ricardo Fabbri-2

Re: graphics engine development (was: graphics API help)

Hi, Sylvestre,

That's nice that most of the team is in the same place, and that
bugzilla is being heavily used for discussion (sounds like mozilla),
but also that you are willing to see some discussions going on in this
list. It reminds me of the time when people suggested to have scilab
conferences. That's a good way to take part in important face-to-face
discussions. Perhaps we could organize one in Brazil..? just something
to keep in mind..

The contributions I look forward to are mainly those that affect users
of the image processing toolboxes, including SIP.  Starting with the
features that I also need for myself.

So beyond developing the image processing routines, I would like to
help in the graphics project and also in fixing general bugs,
specially those that affect the image processing and machine learning
users. I currently have a strong interest in interactive data
exploration and editing.

As for concrete steps: I would like to start off playing with the
graphics branch to test and improve image-related things. Then I could
also try to improve the graphics UI part, to make plots more
interactive with data (clicking + deleting a curve, clicking +
obtaining data from a curve, etc).

Your advice is appreciated,
Ricardo
--
Linux registered user #175401
www.lems.brown.edu/~rfabbri

Le mardi 18 octobre 2011 à 17:35 -0200, Ricardo Fabbri a écrit :
> Hi, Sylvestre,
>
> That's nice that most of the team is in the same place, and that
> bugzilla is being heavily used for discussion (sounds like mozilla),
> but also that you are willing to see some discussions going on in this
> list. It reminds me of the time when people suggested to have scilab
> conferences. That's a good way to take part in important face-to-face
> discussions. Perhaps we could organize one in Brazil..? just something
> to keep in mind..
We are organizing every year a conference called ScilabTEC:
http://www.scilab.org/news/events/20110502
http://www.scilab.org/news/events/2010/20100719

There are also some conferences organized in other countries like India
or China.

> The contributions I look forward to are mainly those that affect users
> of the image processing toolboxes, including SIP.  Starting with the
> features that I also need for myself.
It is usually the best way to go ;)

> As for concrete steps: I would like to start off playing with the
> graphics branch to test and improve image-related things. Then I could
> also try to improve the graphics UI part, to make plots more
> interactive with data (clicking + deleting a curve, clicking +
> obtaining data from a curve, etc).
Working on this would be really great. AFAIK, we haven't planned this
for Scilab 5.4. We would have to find the best way to go technically and
functionally! :)
Great idea by the way!

Sylvestre