non linear optim

David Chèze David Chèze
Report Content as Inappropriate

non linear optim

I'm running scilab 6.0 on WIN7_64 and I failed to run optimisation based on 'optim' functions (leastsq) while fminsearch performed well. The call in my code are summarized below :

-----
function RMSE=evaloptiM1D(X)
... calls to other macros to calculate the "cost"=RMSE returned value
endfunction

x0= [1.27 ; 0.8]

[fopt, xopt]=leastsq(evaloptiM1D,x0)   //fail

[x, fval]=fminsearch(evaloptiM1D,x0',opt)  //run ok

----------
fminsearch returns successfully X = 1.22 0.77
while
leastsq starts then fails with :

User function 'costf' have not been setted.

Any idea about what it means and where it could comes from ?

Thanks for your advice

David

paul paul
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: non linear optim

Hello David,

Do the examples work? I need to know if the problem is related to your scripts or leastsq.
Could you please reduce to a minimal reproducible use-case and report it on the bugzilla?

Paul

On 03/20/2017 11:48 AM, David Chèze wrote:

I'm running scilab 6.0 on WIN7_64 and I failed to run optimisation based on
'optim' functions (leastsq) while fminsearch performed well. The call in my
code are summarized below :

-----
function RMSE=evaloptiM1D(X)
... calls to other macros to calculate the "cost"=RMSE returned value
endfunction

x0= [1.27 ; 0.8]

[fopt, xopt]=leastsq(evaloptiM1D,x0)   //fail

[x, fval]=fminsearch(evaloptiM1D,x0',opt)  //run ok

----------
fminsearch returns successfully X = 1.22 0.77
while
leastsq starts then fails with :

User function 'costf' have not been setted.

Any idea about what it means and where it could comes from ?

Thanks for your advice

David

View this message in context: http://mailinglists.scilab.org/non-linear-optim-tp4035880.html
Sent from the Scilab users - Mailing Lists Archives mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Paul BIGNIER
Development engineer
-----------------------------------------------------------
Scilab Enterprises
143bis rue Yves Le Coz - 78000 Versailles, France
Phone: +33.1.80.77.04.68

David Chèze David Chèze
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: non linear optim

Hi Paul,

the leastsq examples run properly on my machine, as well as other tests with simple functions inside.

I looked at leastsq first because of the minimal request very simple way to express the problem f=costf(X) with functions that are not quickly vectorizable. Otherwise I was used to datafit. I saw in lsqrsolve that we need to provide the numbers of equations to run the solver, maybe it's similar for leastsq ? In my case the costf function evaluates the model over 7 tests, each test is 6 to 7 evaluations of different configurations. I'm limiting to 2 unknowns to calibrate in my model so the problem can be solve a priori  but leastsq is not informed of that a priori .

and
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: non linear optim

On Mon, 2017-03-20 at 08:53 -0700, David Chèze wrote:

> Hi Paul,
> the leastsq examples run properly on my machine, as well as other
> tests with
> simple functions inside.
> I looked at leastsq first because of the minimal request very simple
> way to
> express the problem f=costf(X) with functions that are not quickly
> vectorizable. Otherwise I was used to datafit. I saw in lsqrsolve
> that we
> need to provide the numbers of equations to run the solver, maybe
> it's
> similar for leastsq ? In my case the costf function evaluates the
> model over
> 7 tests, each test is 6 to 7 evaluations of different configurations.
> I'm
> limiting to 2 unknowns to calibrate in my model so the problem can be
> solve
> a priori  but leastsq is not informed of that a priori .
> and

Hey David:

I think Paul is concerned that something broke in the transition from
5.x to 6.0.

I haven't used fminsearch, but it looks like it uses a significantly
different algorithm than leastsq and optim (I believe that optim uses
Newton's method, or perhaps a combination of Newton's method and
gradient descent).  So it could just be that the underlying algorithm
in fminsearch works better for your problem than the one for leastsq.

Looking at the relevant Wikipedia pages may suggest something:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelder%E2%80%93Mead_method  (fminsearch)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_method_in_optimization (optim)

Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Control & Communications systems, circuit & software design.
Phone: 503.631.7815
Cell:  503.349.8432

paul.carrico paul.carrico
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: non linear optim

Hi All

I've ever been thinking that fminsearch uses Nelder-Mead algorthm i.e.
it is an order 0 method (no gradient is needed to determine the local
extremum) ; this is a personnal approach but I uses NeldeMead (with
bounds and restarts) instead of fminsearch for a limited number of
variables.

Nota bene : I'm still using Scilab 5.5.2 release

Paul

Le 2017-03-20 18:12, Tim Wescott a écrit :

> On Mon, 2017-03-20 at 08:53 -0700, David Chèze wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>> the leastsq examples run properly on my machine, as well as other
>> tests with
>> simple functions inside.
>> I looked at leastsq first because of the minimal request very simple
>> way to
>> express the problem f=costf(X) with functions that are not quickly
>> vectorizable. Otherwise I was used to datafit. I saw in lsqrsolve
>> that we
>> need to provide the numbers of equations to run the solver, maybe
>> it's
>> similar for leastsq ? In my case the costf function evaluates the
>> model over
>> 7 tests, each test is 6 to 7 evaluations of different configurations.
>> I'm
>> limiting to 2 unknowns to calibrate in my model so the problem can be
>> solve
>> a priori  but leastsq is not informed of that a priori .
>> and
> Hey David:
> I think Paul is concerned that something broke in the transition from
> 5.x to 6.0.
> I haven't used fminsearch, but it looks like it uses a significantly
> different algorithm than leastsq and optim (I believe that optim uses
> Newton's method, or perhaps a combination of Newton's method and
> gradient descent).  So it could just be that the underlying algorithm
> in fminsearch works better for your problem than the one for leastsq.
> Looking at the relevant Wikipedia pages may suggest something:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelder%E2%80%93Mead_method  (fminsearch)
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_method_in_optimization (optim)
> Tim Wescott
> www.wescottdesign.com
> Control & Communications systems, circuit & software design.
> Phone: 503.631.7815
> Cell:  503.349.8432
> users mailing list
> http://lists.scilab.org/mailman/listinfo/users
David Chèze David Chèze
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: non linear optim

In reply to this post by paul
Hi all,

I worked further on this issue and found that it's new (unwanted) behavior in scilab 6 since the script performs well when run under scilab 5.5.1 on the same machine WIN7_64bits.
In scilab 6 it fails with the error message : User function 'costf' have not been setted.

while in scilab 5.5.1:

[fopt, xopt]=leastsq(iprint,evaloptiM1D,x0')

***** enters -qn code- (without bound cstr)
dimension=         2, epsq=  0.2220446049250313E-15, verbosity level: imp=         2
max number of iterations allowed: iter=       100
***** leaves -qn code-, gradient norm=  0.4410737793778105E-02
Fin de l'optimisation.

xopt  =

1.2213257    0.7702730
 fopt  =

21284.818

Then I guess it's not a limitation in the algorithm itself but rather something at the interface that has changed in scilab 6, also because the message is issued early in the execution , about 1 s after launching the script while the successful optimization requires at least 10-20s: probably there's only or not even one full iteration performed before it issues escape message in scilab 6 .
 I can't provide the detail of the function to optimize however I could provide you with more detailed log from execution.

David

David Chèze David Chèze
Report Content as Inappropriate

least squares non linear optim failures

Hi Paul(s) and all,

I looked forward to the specific failures I reported for Scilab 6 for leastsq, lsqrsolve, datafit and it looks like it is caused by fsolve call inside my cost function while scilab 5.5 managed it well. I reported a complete test case that shows the bug in bug report 15117. the bug 15117 tilte mentions only lsqrsolve but it's showing also leastsq and datafit failures.

Thanks for curing the patient !

David
paul paul
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: non linear optim

In reply to this post by David Chèze

Hello David,
As the documentation examples work, I can't do much of this info unless
I get a reproducible use-case.
Maybe you could send us a minimalistic failing example?
Also, could you please fill a bug for this so we can fix it for Scilab
6.0.1?
Thanks and regards,
Paul

On 2017-04-04 16:11, David Chèze wrote:

> Hi all,
> I worked further on this issue and found that it's new (unwanted)
> behavior
> in scilab 6 since the script performs well when run under scilab 5.5.1
> on
> the same machine WIN7_64bits.
> In scilab 6 it fails with the error message : User function 'costf'
> have not
> been setted.
> while in scilab 5.5.1:
> [fopt, xopt]=leastsq(iprint,evaloptiM1D,x0')
> ***** enters -qn code- (without bound cstr)
> dimension=         2, epsq=  0.2220446049250313E-15, verbosity level:
> ***** leaves -qn code-, gradient norm=  0.4410737793778105E-02
> Fin de l'optimisation.
>  xopt  =
>     1.2213257    0.7702730
>  fopt  =
>     21284.818
> Then I guess it's not a limitation in the algorithm itself but rather
> something at the interface that has changed in scilab 6, also because
> the
> message is issued early in the execution , about 1 s after launching
> the
> script while the successful optimization requires at least 10-20s:
> probably
> there's only or not even one full iteration performed before it issues
> escape message in scilab 6 .
>  I can't provide the detail of the function to optimize however I could
> provide you with more detailed log from execution.
> Regards,
> David
> View this message in context:
> http://mailinglists.scilab.org/non-linear-optim-tp4035880p4036141.html