non-square root function?

Huub van Niekerk Huub van Niekerk

non-square root function?

Hi,

What is in scilab the inverse function of power, e.g. the non-square
root? 2**2 = 4, so sqrt(4) = 2. But 2**3 = 8, so the 3rd-power root of 8
= 2. But what is the function in scilab?

Thanks.

Francis Drossaert Francis Drossaert

RE: non-square root function?

Uhm that is basics math problem and there is no special function for it (as far I know):

sqrt(4) = 4^(1/2) = 2
3root(8) = 8^(1/3) = 2
4root(16) = 16^(1/4) = 2

Cheers

This email and any files contained therein is confidential and may contain privileged information.  If you are not the named addressee(s) or you have otherwise received this in error, you should not distribute or copy this e-mail or use any of its content for any purpose. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail in error and delete it from your system
Huub van Niekerk Huub van Niekerk

Re: non-square root function?

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:47:29 +0000, Francis Drossaert wrote:

> Uhm that is basics math problem and there is no special function for it
> (as far I know):
>
> sqrt(4) = 4^(1/2) = 2
> 3root(8) = 8^(1/3) = 2
> 4root(16) = 16^(1/4) = 2

Yes, it is basic math. But since the sqrt function is there as well...
I'll use the ^ then.

Francis Drossaert Francis Drossaert

RE: Re: non-square root function?

I understand but just like there are infinite powers there are infinite roots and to give them all separate functions is impossible. If you like to use a function (which sqrt actually is) for aesthetic reasons than why not write your own.