potential es(south america) translator

Gonzalo Nemmi Gonzalo Nemmi

potential es(south america) translator

Hi!

I was wondering, even if it's explicitly stated that there's no
english version, if there was an english or portuguese version of the
"Scilab for high schools Presentation Booklet (2010 edition – only
available in French)" that can be found in here:
http://www.scilab.org/content/download/693/11708/file/livret_lycees_2010.pdf

I read it and found it not only really well written but also an
excellent introduction to Scilab. The problem is that even if I can
"figure out" french, I just don't know it well enough as to dare
myself to embark into a full translation to spanish ( specially for
Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay ... basically .. spanish for South
America).

I also noted that it's not listed under
http://wiki.scilab.org/Open_Source_Documentation and left me wondering
if translating it is even posible ( maybe for legal reasons or
something like that )

So, if by any chance there is an english translation, a work in
progress or at least a draft that someone is working on, please let me
know so I can get started with it :)

I did take a look at http://wiki.scilab.org/Tutorials and found that
there's only one spanish translation .. that it's quite old and based
on Scilab 3.0 .. I also found there are quite a lot of documents that
are not translated and other things that could use some work on .. so,
if there's a team of spanish translators, please, contact me or let me
know where to address my mails :)

Best Regards
Gonzalo Nemmi

Re: potential es(south america) translator

Hello Gonzalo,

The documentation you are making a reference to is an introduction for a
Scilab extension called "Module Lycée". If you want to translate this
documentation, this module should be translated first. For now, it is
only available in French but this might be available in English in the
future. If you are interested, I will let you know when it is available.

If you want to translate an introduction to Scilab, you could consider
"Introduction to Scilab":
http://www.scilab.org/en/support/documentation/tutorials
which is currently under translation to Russian.

Le dimanche 09 mai 2010 à 20:03 -0300, Gonzalo Nemmi a écrit :

> Hi!
>
> I was wondering, even if it's explicitly stated that there's no
> english version, if there was an english or portuguese version of the
> "Scilab for high schools Presentation Booklet (2010 edition – only
> available in French)" that can be found in here:
> http://www.scilab.org/content/download/693/11708/file/livret_lycees_2010.pdf
>
> I read it and found it not only really well written but also an
> excellent introduction to Scilab. The problem is that even if I can
> "figure out" french, I just don't know it well enough as to dare
> myself to embark into a full translation to spanish ( specially for
> Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay ... basically .. spanish for South
> America).
>
> I also noted that it's not listed under
> http://wiki.scilab.org/Open_Source_Documentation and left me wondering
> if translating it is even posible ( maybe for legal reasons or
> something like that )
>
> So, if by any chance there is an english translation, a work in
> progress or at least a draft that someone is working on, please let me
> know so I can get started with it :)
>
> I did take a look at http://wiki.scilab.org/Tutorials and found that
> there's only one spanish translation .. that it's quite old and based
> on Scilab 3.0 .. I also found there are quite a lot of documents that
> are not translated and other things that could use some work on .. so,
> if there's a team of spanish translators, please, contact me or let me
> know where to address my mails :)
>
> Best Regards
> Gonzalo Nemmi

Gonzalo Nemmi Gonzalo Nemmi

Re: potential es(south america) translator

Hi Sylvestre, my pleasure to meet you =)

First reply to the list, so, sorry in advanced if the list prefers
replies at the bottom instead of top posting :s

Thanks for your kind and explanative answer. Really. And yes, please
let me know when the "Module Lycée"'s documentation is ready to be
translated, or even better ... let me know if I can pitch in in
"Module Lycée"'s spanish translation, should there be one ;)

As for your suggestion on translating "Introduction to Scilab" into
spanish: I take it :)

The question now is: how should I proceed?

Is there a text that describes the standar procedure for translators
(like, download file x via svn with the following command: svn co xxx,
translate using utf-8, commit the changes or send them to [hidden email] for
review), or should I just do an svn co xxx
(http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/docintrotoscilab/source/tree/HEAD/)?

or use GIT instead of svn?

Which file should I get working on?
http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/docintrotoscilab/source/tree/HEAD/en_US/introscilab/introscilab.tex?

Should I create a HEAD/es_AR/ (Argentina) folder?

Sorry for the storm of questions, but I'm really eager to begin working on it :D

Hope to hear from you soon Sylvestre.
Best Regards.
Gonzalo Nemmi

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 4:22 AM, Sylvestre Ledru
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Gonzalo,
>
> The documentation you are making a reference to is an introduction for a
> Scilab extension called "Module Lycée". If you want to translate this
> documentation, this module should be translated first. For now, it is
> only available in French but this might be available in English in the
> future. If you are interested, I will let you know when it is available.
>
> If you want to translate an introduction to Scilab, you could consider
> "Introduction to Scilab":
> http://www.scilab.org/en/support/documentation/tutorials
> which is currently under translation to Russian.
>
> Regards,
> Sylvestre
>

> Le dimanche 09 mai 2010 à 20:03 -0300, Gonzalo Nemmi a écrit :
>> Hi!
>>
>> I was wondering, even if it's explicitly stated that there's no
>> english version, if there was an english or portuguese version of the
>> "Scilab for high schools Presentation Booklet (2010 edition – only
>> available in French)" that can be found in here:
>> http://www.scilab.org/content/download/693/11708/file/livret_lycees_2010.pdf
>>
>> I read it and found it not only really well written but also an
>> excellent introduction to Scilab. The problem is that even if I can
>> "figure out" french, I just don't know it well enough as to dare
>> myself to embark into a full translation to spanish ( specially for
>> Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay ... basically .. spanish for South
>> America).
>>
>> I also noted that it's not listed under
>> http://wiki.scilab.org/Open_Source_Documentation and left me wondering
>> if translating it is even posible ( maybe for legal reasons or
>> something like that )
>>
>> So, if by any chance there is an english translation, a work in
>> progress or at least a draft that someone is working on, please let me
>> know so I can get started with it :)
>>
>> I did take a look at http://wiki.scilab.org/Tutorials and found that
>> there's only one spanish translation .. that it's quite old and based
>> on Scilab 3.0 .. I also found there are quite a lot of documents that
>> are not translated and other things that could use some work on .. so,
>> if there's a team of spanish translators, please, contact me or let me
>> know where to address my mails :)
>>
>> Best Regards
>> Gonzalo Nemmi

Re: potential es(south america) translator

We don't have a rule for top/bottom posting :)

About your question, you should have a look on Michael Baudin's answer
to Artem Glebov, the russian translator:
http://lists.scilab.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-browse?list=dev&cmd=showmsg&msgnum=1821

Sylvestre

Le lundi 10 mai 2010 à 06:18 -0300, Gonzalo Nemmi a écrit :

> [...]
> >> if translating it is even posible ( maybe for legal reasons or
> >> something like that )
> >>
> >> So, if by any chance there is an english translation, a work in
> >> progress or at least a draft that someone is working on, please let me
> >> know so I can get started with it :)
> >>
> >> I did take a look at http://wiki.scilab.org/Tutorials and found that
> >> there's only one spanish translation .. that it's quite old and based
> >> on Scilab 3.0 .. I also found there are quite a lot of documents that
> >> are not translated and other things that could use some work on .. so,
> >> if there's a team of spanish translators, please, contact me or let me
> >> know where to address my mails :)
> >>
> >> Best Regards
> >> Gonzalo Nemmi

Gonzalo Nemmi Gonzalo Nemmi

Re: potential es(south america) translator

Sweet!
Thanks for the propmpt reply Sylvestre!
Im already reading that mail and will try to get in touch with Michael
Baudin (if needed) and get my hands dirty as soon as possible =D

Best Regards Sylvestre!
Gonzalo Nemmi