scilab java

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
e-letter e-letter
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

scilab java

Readers,

Below are command terminal errors trying to install scilab 5 and run
in opensuse:

scilab
/usr/bin/scilab-bin: error while loading shared libraries:
libhdf5.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
[root] # rpm -i libhdf5-0-1.8.2-2.2.i586.rpm
warning: libhdf5-0-1.8.2-2.2.i586.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature,
key ID bd432934: NOKEY
[normaluser] # scilab
Warning: Could not find Java package '/usr/lib/java//jhdf5.jar'.
Some problems during the loading of the Java libraries occured.
This could lead to inconsistent behaviours.
Please check SCI/etc/classpath.xml.
Error parsing gtk-icon-sizes string: ''

If scilab 5 requires java, why is it not compiled as a jar file? It is
too difficult to configure. Programmers should consider that other
java software would be installed before scilab.
sylvestre sylvestre
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: scilab java

Hello e-letter (?),

Le vendredi 04 novembre 2011 à 09:42 +0000, e-letter a écrit :

> Readers,
>
> Below are command terminal errors trying to install scilab 5 and run
> in opensuse:
>
> scilab
> /usr/bin/scilab-bin: error while loading shared libraries:
> libhdf5.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
> [root] # rpm -i libhdf5-0-1.8.2-2.2.i586.rpm
> warning: libhdf5-0-1.8.2-2.2.i586.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature,
> key ID bd432934: NOKEY
> [normaluser] # scilab
> Warning: Could not find Java package '/usr/lib/java//jhdf5.jar'.
> Some problems during the loading of the Java libraries occured.
> This could lead to inconsistent behaviours.
> Please check SCI/etc/classpath.xml.
Here, the problem is because you haven't installed java hdf5.
http://www.hdfgroup.org/hdf-java-html/

> If scilab 5 requires java, why is it not compiled as a jar file? It is
> too difficult to configure.
Well, it requires certain skills ;)

>  Programmers should consider that other
> java software would be installed before scilab.
I don't understand your point.

I am trying once more my question, why are you not using the official
binary ?
http://www.scilab.org/products/scilab/download
it is providing an out-of-box fully functional Scilab.

If you are are using the packaged version of Scilab by Opensuse and you
are experiencing these issue, please report them on the opensuse bug
tracker. The maintainer is usually reactive.
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports

Sylvestre


e-letter e-letter
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: scilab java

On 04/11/2011, Sylvestre Ledru <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If scilab 5 requires java, why is it not compiled as a jar file? It is
>> too difficult to configure.
> Well, it requires certain skills ;)
>
Usually, other java programs are very easy to install. For unknown
reason, the official build demands that a separate version of java is
installed, even if the computer already has java. Why?

>>  Programmers should consider that other
>> java software would be installed before scilab.
> I don't understand your point.
>

See above. As an example, installing jedit allows the user to edit the
executable file to use an existing installation of java. Scilab
installation does not allow this.

> I am trying once more my question, why are you not using the official
> binary ?

To repeat, using the command 'urpmi', the installation process
demanded that java is installed, even though java was installed
previously to run other java programs. There does not seem to be an
option to instruct scilab to use an existing installation of java.
Clément David-2 Clément David-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: scilab java

Hello,

Le vendredi 04 novembre 2011 à 10:12 +0000, e-letter a écrit :
> On 04/11/2011, Sylvestre Ledru <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> If scilab 5 requires java, why is it not compiled as a jar file? It is
> >> too difficult to configure.
> > Well, it requires certain skills ;)
> >
> Usually, other java programs are very easy to install. For unknown
> reason, the official build demands that a separate version of java is
> installed, even if the computer already has java. Why?
For scilab stock versions, we maintain a thirdparty repository with libs
supported version. With that we can assert that using a Scilab binary
version has the same dependencies for all of our supported platforms.

Exemple, I use openjdk7 with new features / new bugs / many many
changes. When I found a new java related bug, I can check if it is a
jre7 bug or a Scilab one but reproduce it with the stock version.

> >>  Programmers should consider that other
> >> java software would be installed before scilab.
> > I don't understand your point.
> >
>
> See above. As an example, installing jedit allows the user to edit the
> executable file to use an existing installation of java. Scilab
> installation does not allow this.

Well jedit has a linux installer, we do not have. Average user just need
to extract the binary tarball and execute bin/scilab. If you need more
customization then build your own Scilab.


> > I am trying once more my question, why are you not using the official
> > binary ?
>
> To repeat, using the command 'urpmi', the installation process
> demanded that java is installed, even though java was installed
> previously to run other java programs. There does not seem to be an
> option to instruct scilab to use an existing installation of java.

It may be a scilab packaging issue, file a bug against opensuse
bugzilla.

--
Clément David <[hidden email]>
Scilab Enterprises

e-letter e-letter
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: scilab java

On 04/11/2011, Clément David <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Usually, other java programs are very easy to install. For unknown
>> reason, the official build demands that a separate version of java is
>> installed, even if the computer already has java. Why?
> For scilab stock versions, we maintain a thirdparty repository with libs
> supported version. With that we can assert that using a Scilab binary
> version has the same dependencies for all of our supported platforms.
>

I do not understand; it does not explain that if the demand to install
_another_ java version before installing scilab is accepted I would
have multiple versions of java installed. This is not logical; if
every java program behaved like scilab, I would need many java
installations!

> Exemple, I use openjdk7 with new features / new bugs / many many
> changes. When I found a new java related bug, I can check if it is a
> jre7 bug or a Scilab one but reproduce it with the stock version.
>

I have been using ibm java for many years, no bugs founds, stable and
works nicely with all my other java programs (except scilab).

>>
>> See above. As an example, installing jedit allows the user to edit the
>> executable file to use an existing installation of java. Scilab
>> installation does not allow this.
>
> Well jedit has a linux installer, we do not have. Average user just need
> to extract the binary tarball and execute bin/scilab. If you need more
> customization then build your own Scilab.
>

Jedit has a java installer. Is it not possible for scilab to use a
cross-platform java installer?

>> > I am trying once more my question, why are you not using the official
>> > binary ?
>>
>> To repeat, using the command 'urpmi', the installation process
>> demanded that java is installed, even though java was installed
>> previously to run other java programs. There does not seem to be an
>> option to instruct scilab to use an existing installation of java.
>
> It may be a scilab packaging issue, file a bug against opensuse
> bugzilla.
>

To clarify this was experienced using another computer using mandriva.
So you are stating that if the installation process demands java is
installed, that if the problem with mandriva, not scilab?
Clément David-2 Clément David-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: scilab java

Le vendredi 04 novembre 2011 à 11:51 +0000, e-letter a écrit :

> On 04/11/2011, Clément David <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Usually, other java programs are very easy to install. For unknown
> >> reason, the official build demands that a separate version of java is
> >> installed, even if the computer already has java. Why?
> > For scilab stock versions, we maintain a thirdparty repository with libs
> > supported version. With that we can assert that using a Scilab binary
> > version has the same dependencies for all of our supported platforms.
> >
>
> I do not understand; it does not explain that if the demand to install
> _another_ java version before installing scilab is accepted I would
> have multiple versions of java installed. This is not logical; if
> every java program behaved like scilab, I would need many java
> installations!

Well, binary version *IS* binary version. We consider the JVM as
mandatory for this binary version so we provide it. Your remark also
apply to blas / lapack implementation. We ship the original
implementation, which is far less performant than more modern ones
(ATLAS, GOTOBlas, MKL) *BUT* if someone wants better performance, then
compile a specific scilab version with specific dependencies.

This is package maintainer job (distro responsibility) to provide this
version not upstream one.

> > Exemple, I use openjdk7 with new features / new bugs / many many
> > changes. When I found a new java related bug, I can check if it is a
> > jre7 bug or a Scilab one but reproduce it with the stock version.
> >
>
> I have been using ibm java for many years, no bugs founds, stable and
> works nicely with all my other java programs (except scilab).
>
> >>
> >> See above. As an example, installing jedit allows the user to edit the
> >> executable file to use an existing installation of java. Scilab
> >> installation does not allow this.
> >
> > Well jedit has a linux installer, we do not have. Average user just need
> > to extract the binary tarball and execute bin/scilab. If you need more
> > customization then build your own Scilab.
> >
>
> Jedit has a java installer. Is it not possible for scilab to use a
> cross-platform java installer?
>
> >> > I am trying once more my question, why are you not using the official
> >> > binary ?
> >>
> >> To repeat, using the command 'urpmi', the installation process
> >> demanded that java is installed, even though java was installed
> >> previously to run other java programs. There does not seem to be an
> >> option to instruct scilab to use an existing installation of java.
> >
> > It may be a scilab packaging issue, file a bug against opensuse
> > bugzilla.
> >
>
> To clarify this was experienced using another computer using mandriva.
> So you are stating that if the installation process demands java is
> installed, that if the problem with mandriva, not scilab?

We guarantee software useability on the binary version. If you install
something with a package manager, fill any bug on distro bugzilla. If
you are able to reproduce on binary version, fill a bug on scilab BZ.

--
Clément David <[hidden email]>
Scilab Enterprises

Loading...